• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pogs and pneumonia

Countryracer500

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm new here. I unfortunately had to get my baby guinea put down this morning due to pneumonia. I have a couple other guineas that she shared a cage with. I dont want them getting ill at all, so my question to you guys:
is there anything anyone knows of that i can give them to prevent them from getting pneumonia? Thanks!

I’m afraid there’s nothing. Just keep an eye on them.

And I’d clean their cage thoroughly as well.

Last edited:
Cold drafty houses can cause its to come on and I think, but don't know, but mould anywhere on internal walls, is not good either. And the above info, is all you can do really👍. I used to live in a rubbish flat that had bad windows and leaky front door. No central heating, one of my pigs did get pneumonia, he survived thank god with a strong correct antibiotic and 3 nights at the vets

Cleaning the cage with a disinfectant like F10 is a good idea, but if your piggies shared a cage then likely they have already been exposed to whatever their companion had, so all you can do is keep a close eye on their health and get them straight to the vet if you notice any unusual breathing noises, or a runny nose or eyes.
Pneumonia is not caused by cold damp houses @SkyPipDotBernie it is caused by an infection. But of course a cold damp environment or indeed an overly hot dry environment with too much central heating, can stress a piggy that may have been exposed to an infection and can also make respiratory symptoms worse.
Sorry for the loss of your piggy @Countryracer500 I hope the others do not also become ill x

OK not cause pneumonia directly , but draft and cold can cause a uri , and then lead to pneumonia ( possibly) Sorry bold letters , don't know how to change it at the moment. I know it's an infection🙂. My previous vet who did save my old boar, advised me to stop any drafts near their cage, to lessen the chance of a uri again especially because my pig Already had pneumonia before

SO sad to see in a little pig 🙁

I have never used f10, I may have to get some. My new rats are even more sensitive to getting uri's than guinea pigs.

From what I know pneumonia can come on from an upper respiratory infection worsening or the guinea pig can get pneumonia straight off from an infection? Which would be lower respiratory tract infection?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK not cause pneumonia directly , but draft and cold can cause a uri , and then lead to pneumonia ( possibly) Sorry bold letters , don't know how to change it at the moment. I know it's an infection🙂. My previous vet who did save my old boar, advised me to stop any drafts near their cage, to lessen the chance of a uri again especially because my pig Already had pneumonia before

SO sad to see in a little pig 🙁

I have never used f10, I may have to get some. My new rats are even more sensitive to getting uri's than guinea pigs.

From what I know pneumonia can come on from an upper respiratory infection worsening or the guinea pig can get pneumonia straight off from an infection? Which would be lower respiratory tract infection?

Pneumonia can be a secondary complication to a bacterial URI but there are also some real nasties around that can cause pneumonia directly and hit with devastating speed.

As somebody with only rather haphazard medical knowledge, can I please remind you to NOT post any advice in this section unless you have personal experience with a specific issue and then keep it strictly to reporting your own experiences. You helpfulness can cause more problems than it solves
Otherwise you are always welcome to post your support and sympathy, the same as everybody else. Thank you!

Pneumonia can be a secondary complication to a bacterial URI but there are also some real nasties around that can cause pneumonia directly and hit with devastating speed.

As somebody with only rather haphazard medical knowledge, can I please remind you to NOT post any advice in this section unless you have personal experience with a specific issue and then keep it strictly to reporting your own experiences. You helpfulness can cause more problems than it solves
Otherwise you are always welcome to post your support and sympathy, the same as everybody else. Thank you!
Yes sorry. Won't do it again, I just sometimes want to help members when no one is online and I'm on my phone at night. Il just tag you and PigglePuggle in from now on. I can see I'm just making things worse

Hey all! I'm new here. I unfortunately had to get my baby guinea put down this morning due to pneumonia. I have a couple other guineas that she shared a cage with. I dont want them getting ill at all, so my question to you guys:
is there anything anyone knows of that i can give them to prevent them from getting pneumonia? Thanks!
So sorry for your loss xx

I am sorry about the loss of you're baby pig 😔. I do hope you're other one is OK

Back