• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea spaying & stitches

Guineapig lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, peaches is due to be spayed on Wednesday. I’ve read the guide and ordered critical care food! But the vet mentioned that guinea pigs can sometimes nibble at their stitches and mentioned wearing a sock or something. Anyone got any experience of this or helpful hints? Happy to sacrifice a sock if required as I think peach would be a nibbler. Cheers!

Hi everyone, peaches is due to be spayed on Wednesday. I’ve read the guide and ordered critical care food! But the vet mentioned that guinea pigs can sometimes nibble at their stitches and mentioned wearing a sock or something. Anyone got any experience of this or helpful hints? Happy to sacrifice a sock if required as I think peach would be a nibbler. Cheers!

Hi!

With a good vet nibbling at scars should be very rare.

A sock won't unfortunately help because if the discomfort is so big that they feel they have to gnaw at the scar, they will either wiggle out of it or bite through it anyway. If a piggy is really biting their stitches open, then they need to see a vet asap as an emergency.
Tips For Post-operative Care

Here is a link to post-op pictures of my Cariad's emergency spay scar, with the pictures taken 10 days apart.
The alternative way of removing just ovarian cysts is from the back.
Help Please Ovarian Cysts

Poor peach she’s already got two bald patches on her back from the ultrasound, she’ll have a naked belly as well now :(

Back