• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea very quiet and sorry

vixytoria88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m looking for some advice. One of my girls went to the vet today to have her tooth cut (she only has one so has to have them trimmed regularly). She was fine when we caught her and she travelled with her friend. Due to Covid restrictions, I wasn’t allowed in the vets so have no idea what happened but when the vet returned her, she said she was a ‘bit wriggly’ so she couldn’t cut the tooth as short as she would like. We bought her straight home and she returned to the group but wasn’t her normal self at all. This was lunchtime and she is still very quiet, hasn’t eaten and is keeping herself separate from the others. Could she be in shock or do you think something else is wrong? She had a check up with the vets and I wonder if maybe they were a bit rough with her as she wasn’t on her best behaviour but they are closed now so I can’t check. I am really worried about her as she is always the leader and very vocal and is looking so sad. I’m not sure what to do and wondered if it was normal for guinea pigs to be a bit distance after a traumatic experience at the vets sometimes, she has never had any issues before though. Any advice as to what I can do or is she best just left to rest for now? TIA x

If she isn’t eating you will have to think about starting to weigh her daily at the same time and syringe feeding. How is she behaving now?

Mine are mostly like that right after we have seen the vet. How is she today? If she hasn't improved I think it's best to go back to the vet. But I feel a vet visit is quite tramatizing and exhausting to them, so afterwards mine mostly sleep as well.

Hi everyone, Biscuit hadn’t improved this morning so we took her back to the vet. She wasn’t too concerned and thinks she needs her back teeth operated on, we have been given some food to syringe and have continued to give her water and keep her warm. She looks very poorly this evening, she still won’t move and just wants to sleep so I am just keeping her warm with me as I really fear the worse even though the vet wasn’t concerned about her at all earlier. I am so confused as to why she was completely fine up until the vets appointment yesterday and wasn’t showing any signs of feeling in pain or being poorly and she has just gone down hill since. If she is still like this tomorrow, I will try a different vet 😢

Please syringe feed every two hours, and weigh her at the same time each day. You can then adjust how often you feed according to how her weight is.

I’m sorry she’s so unwell. Would you be able to get to Northampton if you had an appointment?

Thank you for the advice, I will keep trying her with the food. I am in Swindon so Northampton is a bit far for us, we do have plenty of good quality vets here though but just wanted to try another one for a second opinion in case it is something other than her teeth bothering her and making her uncomfortable.

Hello vixytoria88 that’s sad she is behaving so differently. I think you have a good plan .... a second vet might give you the answer. I’m hoping tomorro will be a better day for you all and especially Biscuit - sending you all lots of healing hugs 🥰

Hi everyone, I am so heartbroken to say that little Biscuit passed away over night. She just fell asleep and drifted away quite quickly but peacefully. We are all heartbroken and I am so angry with myself as I knew something was wrong and let the vets just send her home believing that it was just her teeth and she would perk up after some rest. She was fine running around her hutch on Saturday morning eating her greens and Sunday night she is gone.

Oh my.
I'm so sorry about this. Sometimes we can't do a lot to help our piggies.
There's great advise on here how to cope losing a loved piggie. It will help.
Rip little one. Xx

Back