• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea with diagnosed pneumonia

Honey22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggie who is 5.5 \ 6yrs old (rescue so don't know exact age) was diagnosed with pneumonia last Friday after we rushed him to the out of hours vets. He is on Baytryll, Loxicom and fibreplex. We are also giving him pro-biotic 2 hours after his antibiotics. He's not eating only what I am hand feeding him, he is passing poops, not as many as normal but I'm pleased with what he is producing. We have noticed today that he isn't able to move around the cage very well, is this because he keeps sitting in one position? I'm trying to get him to get him to move around a little bit but it's not really working.

He doesn't seem to be in any pain but I am concerned because this time yesterday he was pottering around. Thanks in advance.

Sorry, i wrote a reply thinking you had just started anti bs, then noticed your piggy has been on baytril a few days now.

Hopefully one of the forum health experts will be able to advise. It is a worry; i too have a piggy with pneumonia.

Sending healing vibes xx

I’m sorry your boy is unwell. Hopefully he’ll start feeling better soon. The being ill may be the cause of his not moving much. But there’s no harm getting him to the veg if you think it’s necessary or you’re worried.

Is he booked in for a review at all?

We had a telephone appointment yesterday with the vet. We didn't want to stress him out by taking him to the actual surgery. We're booking him in for a review on Friday, it will be a week since his first antibiotic then.

Yes I've read since in one of the links here, it may be calcium reduction that is causing it so he's had a little bit of broccoli last night and I'm going to do the same again in the morning (need to be careful we don't bring bloat on by doing this).

Thank you for replying xx

Update - my beautiful boy Scooby was helped over the Rainbow Bridge this morning, absolutely heartbroken 💔💔

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry. It sounded like his time had come and his body was closing down. We often overlook that guinea pigs are just small animals because of their huge personalities. Especially when they are already frail or elderly, the end can come very suddenly and unexpectedly and sadly throw you badly. :(

Please try to take consolation that you have done everything a loving owner should do and that you haven't failed Scooby in any way. he has been able to live a normal life span thanks to your good care. We sadly can never choose when and what from our beloved ones die; we can only concentrate on making the time they have with us a happy time - you have done that.

You may find this link here helpful in dealing with your strong emotions right now and in the coming days and weeks, make sense of what has just happened and find practical advice for what you can do and need to look out for in Scooby's companion: Death, Dying, Terminal Illness, Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss.
I too lost my boy to pneumonia just before Christmas (though he did have a range of other issues too).

It can progress rapidly and I want to assure you that you have been amazing and done everything you could for little Scooby. it sounds like he had an amazing life with you.

I'm sure my boy is up there now, welcoming him and showing him around with the other RB piggies.
Thinking of you all at this sad time 🌈 💗

Back