• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guineas About Town!

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

Does anyone take their guinea pig/s out and about with them on a daily basis?

I remember a few years ago I was attending a Summer Fete organised by a local animal charity. I'd taken some of my guineas along to promote my rescue work.
I was amazed to see a lady approaching with a lovely rough haired male piggy in her arms and thought "Oh no...she wants to hand him over!"
But no, she'd just come along to say hello and introduce her guinea to us. Apparently, from being a baby he had been taken out in the car, out for the day (he'd been all over, often smuggled into places where dogs were not allowed!)
He was either carried in her arms (which he appeared to love) or in a little travel box. When he went for an all day excursion, he had a cat box complete with water bottle, food bowl and hay rack!

He was such a placid but friendly little guy, not the conventional life style of a piggy I agree, but he seemed really happy and was obviously very much loved. The lady was a hairdresser and had her own salon where he went everyday and had a pen in the staff room!

If I hadn't met him and his doting mom I would have thought ::) But it worked for them :)

Anyone else come across anything like this? Or own such a cosmopolitan little guinea pig!

Barbara

My first guinea pig Rodney, before she had a friend, used to come visiting people with me..... I'd put her in a carrier and she'd come in the car and then have floor time in who evers living room we were in.... She was an odd pig though, in the sense, that she never wanted to hide away, she was happy out in the open, with people. Her friend, once I got her, was more skittish and didn't enjoy travelling so the visits stopped once they were living together. I have never taken a piggie shopping or anything though....

Never heard of anyone taking a guinea round with them. Although I've heard of people taking their hamsters or rats out & about.

Does anyone know of any guineas used as Pets as Therapy visitors? Think that's a really worthful charity and I think people use rabbits.

I remember about 10 years ago a man going into town on the bus with a snake round his neck! When I told my friends they said they had seen him a few times just walking round the city centre. It was a BIG snake but I think the owner was a complete knob just trying to scare people and he must of thought he was cool !

Mary

My Roo pig has his name from his first few months of life where I used to have to take him everywhere with me in a bag like a little kangaroo.

When Roo Pig came to me he was extremely ill and needed very regular feeds and meds so the easiest thing to do was to take him around with me rather than put my life on hold.

As anyone who has heard about his antics will tell you Roo is an extremely special pig and I put it down to our very close contact at the start. He knows his name and lots of other words and is extremely humanised. He opens doors and climbs the stairs to find me, climbs up my leg or sits on my feet when he wants a cuddle, sulks when I leave him or handle another pig and much more.

He is a pig in a million!

I`m a mobile hairdresser and most of my clients are housebound for one reason or another. Most can`t have pets, but have had pets in past, so I take my guineas to them for a cuddle while I`m doing their hair( clients not guineas ) Their not glad to see me, just the guineas ! ;D

That would be cool if I could take Bimbi around everywhere with me. Id like to be known around town as the freak with the pig. (not being sarcastic) :D

GuineaPiggable said:
That would be cool if I could take Bimbi around everywhere with me. Id like to be known around town as the freak with the pig. (not being sarcastic) :D

It would be great to be able to upstage Paris Hilton wouldn't it and have a guinea pig under your arm rather than a Chihuahua ;D

Barbara

hairdi said:
I`m a mobile hairdresser and most of my clients are housebound for one reason or another. Most can`t have pets, but have had pets in past, so I take my guineas to them for a cuddle while I`m doing their hair( clients not guineas ) Their not glad to see me, just the guineas ! ;D
What a lovely thing to do. I bet they really look forward to seeing & cuddling the guineas.

Yes Jellybean, its a simple thing to do and its great for me to bring a bit of pleasure into somebodies life( the hairdo`s not bad either ! ) Its the small things that count in life !

Hairdi

cavykind said:
GuineaPiggable said:

It would be great to be able to upstage Paris Hilton wouldn't it and have a guinea pig under your arm rather than a Chihuahua ;D

Barbara

Totally. I used to have a dachshund, and I aaaalways carried her with me. Just not like out of the house and stuff. (she was so scared of people and bonded with me <3) But the idea of a guinea pig being carried around in like, a purse/pet tote for a guinea pig would be so cool. Maybe Ill google a bag like that, just to see if they have them... (lol)

It would look great from the front ... but not so sure about the back view. Knowing my luck I'd be walking round with a stream of guinea wee down my back & little poos dropping out every minute! (must do something about that housetraining ...)

Jillybean said:
It would look great from the front ... but not so sure about the back view. Knowing my luck I'd be walking round with a stream of guinea wee down my back & little poos dropping out every minute! (must do something about that housetraining ...)

;D :D ;D :D ;D

Ohmagosh those are so cute. I actually had one for my hamster but it was smaller.

Scarby came to a pharmacy with me.

And met the pharmacist, who used to have guineas.

Oh how fun!I'd love to do that but my piggies are still babie.I do take them in the car though!

I've got a carry cage and sometimes take a piggy out if we go for a walk round the lanes and through the woods. Passers by always stop to find out what it is I have in my cage ;D
Peter Gurney always took some piggies with him in a shopping basket whenever he went out and about.

Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back