• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinia pig breathing

Upix

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Recently acquired two new piggies everything going fine until last night I noticed I could hear one breathing almost sounding congested, when she sniffs it’s also louder and almost congested sounding, she was also sneezing last night. This morning still breathing making noise almost congested like but she demolished her morning salad at just the same rate her sister. I also noticed though as if her sister would not leave her side and was staying in front of her which I found weird as her sister is normally MUCH MORE skittish. As it’s Sunday I can’t find any local vets open. Should I be worried any tips, all feedback is welcome thankyou!
Video will come asap

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Recently acquired two new piggies everything going fine until last night I noticed I could hear one breathing almost sounding congested, when she sniffs it’s also louder and almost congested sounding, she was also sneezing last night. This morning still breathing making noise almost congested like but she demolished her morning salad at just the same rate her sister. I also noticed though as if her sister would not leave her side and was staying in front of her which I found weird as her sister is normally MUCH MORE skittish. As it’s Sunday I can’t find any local vets open. Should I be worried any tips, all feedback is welcome thankyou!
Video will come asap
Hi and welcome

You need to upload the video on a public setting elsewhere and the copy it across as we don't have a video uploading facility on our forum that is entirely run by voluntary member donations and moderated by unpaid volunteers in their free time.

Please make sure that you call the clinics tomorrow first thing in the morning for the earliest possible appointment. If your girl is still eating, then the breathing problem is not so bad yet that it is an emergency. I would however switch from the usual once weekly weigh-in and body check to weighing once daily at the same time. Unlimited hay is making about 80% of what a piggy eats in a day and what you cannot control by eye. the poo output crucially lags a day or two behind so cannot give you an up to day feedback. Normal kitchen scales will do. This will help you to assess if or when you need to step in with additional feeding support.

Our emergency and bridging care guide addresses all the practical aspects connected with looking after piggies before treatment can kick in fully and what you can do with what you have handy or easily available. The first aid kit also contains some useful care tips. there is a chapter on feeding support, too, which contains tips on you can improvise in a pinch. Here is the link: Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment