• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gut stasis?

Idag

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, some advice needed please. My 3/4 year old boar Fudge has not eaten today as far as I can tell, he has been in his hidey most of the day, he has dull, watering eyes, general lethargy and making strange squeaks while his abdomen distends visibly. I made an emergency appt at the vets and they are keeping him in overnight for observation. They are going to give him a fluid injection, syringe feed him and call me first thing. If there is no change, they will do x-rays tomorrow. His friend Cocoa is staying with him. I have just got home and wondered if others had had these symptoms and what happened? I know GPs can go downhill very fast and if it is gut stasis, as the vet thinks, this could be fatal couldn't it? I left Cocoa as well for comfort as they are very closely bonded, but now I'm wondering if that was the right thing to do as obviously they won't be able to tell which one has wee'd or poo'd. Do you think I should ask the vet to keep them in separate cages overnight where they can still see each other? Thanks in advance x

Idag

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has anyone got any advice? Dreading calling the vet tomorrow morning...x

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
You have done the right thing by getting him straight tot he vet.
Taking his friend for company was also a good idea and I am sure he will feel happier with someone next to him in a strange place.

As long as the vet have staff available round the clock to keep up with regular syringe feeds then he really is in the best place.
I hope he improves overnight and you get positive news in the morning.

Idag

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks. Not looking good. Vet said there was no improvement over night with fluids and syringe feeding. They are going to do an x ray and call me back. Has anyone else had a good outcome after these symptoms? So worried x