• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gypsey (heart pig) now peeing blood - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Gypsey who is on 2.5mg of Fortekor a day and 0.2ml x2 of Frusemide a day has started to pee blood (proper red blood). Now i know the vet said Frusemide can have side effects such as dehydration so she will drink alot more, but I'm really worried its caused something terrible.

Anyone have any advice regarding the use of Frusemide and any problems/dosage advice?

I am going to cut it down and see how she goes, might even try and cut it out completely, as the heart med Fortekor seems to be doing her good.

Also is Septrim safe to use with Fortekor and Frusemide?

She will be going to the vets for a check up and xray to rule out/diagnose stones/infection also. Just need a heads up.

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Furosemide is a diuretic and therefore causes them to pee more. It can also LONG TERM affect the sodium/potassium balance.....my heart piggie has been on both for >12months with no ill effects

Standard meds for heart piggies is 1mg/kg fortekor twice daily and 2mg/kg furosamide twice daily. A 1.25kg piggie should therefore be on 1.25mg fortekor twice daily = 2.5mg total.

Please confirm your dosages/concentration for furoseamide and how long your piggie has been on these meds.

From the info you have given, the peeing of blood relates more to a possible stone/infection/interstitial cystitis rather than the use of furoseamide per se.

Best get her to the vet to X ray for stones and test urine for infection......

HTH
x

Reaction score
The vet x-rayed her and there was no stones, not even a hint. He said to put her on Septrim and see if she improves, and if not to go back and go from there. She had a tender bladder just as Tallulah had when she had UTI's (she gets them chronically and is on long term Septrim).

She has been on heart meds since November, we went through a trial and error stage and she did have some turns of relapse but we modified accordingly and she is now on 1.25mg of Foretekor a day totalling 2.5mg a day. We have for the past 2 days cut her down to 0.1ml twice daily. She seems fine heart wise.

Is Septrim definitely okay with Frusemide and Fortekor? I did tell the vet she was on these (not the vet that diagnosed the heart) but he seemed rushed so I want to double check. I will start her on it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.