• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Gypsey losing weight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Char-x

As you all know she has heart problems and has just started meds to reduce the fluid around her lungs and heart but shes had another visit to the vets and has lost aprox 30 grams

The vet (who I only saw for first time today and plan on moving all pigs to him as he is great) said it could be because the heart is still deteriating (just not as rapidly without meds) and so works harder and its like constantly working out for her. But I was thinking maybe its because the fluid is going down? She put on weight just before she got really bad with her heart, and was at her heaviest for along time befor she went on her meds - her appetite is the same etc so maybe its the fluid going? but cant weight that much surely?

She isnt on heart meds asuch yet because she is just on stuff to reduce the fluid, but I thought she was getting better on it - I didnt want to add the proper strong heart meds unless need be, but sounds like she might need it?

She is improving in the sense of more energy, no more hooting and her pea eye looked better as did her swollen foot but her pea eye is back again. I'm so confused :(
Sorry just thinking aloud, really worried about her

Millie's-Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
It could be where the fluid is going she is losing the weight as fluid makes them put on weight, keep a check on her weight.
When do you have to see your vet again?

Char-x

It could be where the fluid is going she is losing the weight as fluid makes them put on weight, keep a check on her weight.
When do you have to see your vet again?
It depends on Tallulah really as she was the main reason we went. I have scales so can weight her here, but they are abit useless. If Baytril doesnt work for Tallulahs UTI she will need to go back for Septrim so could be on Monday.

Millie's-Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
It depends on Tallulah really as she was the main reason we went. I have scales so can weight her here, but they are abit useless. If Baytril doesnt work for Tallulahs UTI she will need to go back for Septrim so could be on Monday.
Awww bless her, i hope all goes well, please keep me updated x

Wiebke

Staff member
Keep weighing her daily.

A possible build up of fluids in the body is actually the one thing you need to worry out when a piggy all of a sudden gains weight - as the fluid is drained away, a piggy will lose the weight again. I would see it as a good sign that the meds are working and that the strain on the heart is diminishing.

You need also be aware that there is a daily variance of about 30g - depending on a full/empty bladder and a full/empty tummy!

Best of luck!

Char-x

Keep weighing her daily.

A possible build up of fluids in the body is actually the one thing you need to worry out when a piggy all of a sudden gains weight - as the fluid is drained away, a piggy will lose the weight again. I would see it as a good sign that the meds are working and that the strain on the heart is diminishing.

You need also be aware that there is a daily variance of about 30g - depending on a full/empty bladder and a full/empty tummy!

Best of luck!
Thanks, I just worry 880 is so small! She was a runt though as a baby I believe. She has also been smaller build. My other girl is gaining, but I can tell thats just chub so going to have to watch her weight rolleyes

The bladder may be a good point, they always have dinner after the vets so shouldnt be too much difference there but I didnt realise normal varience could be that much, its good to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.