• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Had This Wound For At Least A Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggyOinkOink

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed a wound on my Benji and I have no idea how he got it but perhaps he scratched too much or else I found a loose nail under the roof of his house which might have scratched him when he brushed past it. I have taken it out now to avoid further injury but it was quite a large wound and it seems to be healing slowly. I was thinking to take him to the vets in case it didn't get better but thought I would wait a few days, plus I don't have the time atm.

It feels hard where it is and if it press it harder he doesn't like it, thou he was flinching more a few days ago. It looks like congealed blood and was actually more wet looking when I first saw it but now looks shiny and like glass. I have been putting Lanacane on it and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. He doesn't flinch if I do put the cream on it so obviously it doesn't hurt like it did a few days ago.

Can anyone please tell me whether it does just look like a wound or could it be something more serious?

Benji Wound 1 (Copy).jpg Benji Wound 2 (Copy).jpg Benji Wound 3 (Copy).jpg

Please have it checked by your vet!

I'm guessing that it does not look like a normal wound?

He doesn't appear bothered by it unless I actually press it, though it is hardened so that is probably uncomfortable. Even searching for it with my fingers doesn't get a reaction.

I am not going to be able to get to the vet until Monday at the earliest. Only day I can is today and I have yet to start revising for tomorrow morning's exam then straight out of town after the exam for the wknd :os

Do you think it's an idea to start him on Baytril as a prophylaxis until I can get him to the vet?

Last edited:
Definitely needs a vets visit as soon as possible , could be a skin condition - fungal or mites would be my first thought

I'm guessing that it does not look like a normal wound?

He doesn't appear bothered by it unless I actually press it, though it is hardened so that is probably uncomfortable. Even searching for it with my fingers doesn't get a reaction.

I am not going to be able to get to the vet until Monday at the earliest. Only day I can is today and I have yet to start revising for tomorrow morning's exam then straight out of town after the exam for the wknd :os

Do you think it's an idea to start him on Baytril as a prophylaxis until I can get him to the vet?

Any wound like this needs to be checked; they are often caused by the guinea pig scratching or biting itself from a painful itchy skin issue like mites or fungal. Please do not home treat on spec and have it checked and if necessary treated properly by a vet.

Yes I'm reading and it could be mites as I mention he was itching more than normal before..all their 2nd doses of ivermectin for mites infestation is due now but I might just wait until I see the vet as they might give him an injection. I think I will give all the others their 2nd dose thou.

From what I'm reading, if they are not having convulsions then a few days wait seems to be ok..

Yes I'm reading and it could be mites as I mention he was itching more than normal before..all their 2nd doses of ivermectin for mites infestation is due now but I might just wait until I see the vet as they might give him an injection. I think I will give all the others their 2nd dose thou.

From what I'm reading, if they are not having convulsions then a few days wait seems to be ok..

What ivermectin product are you using? Be aware that you a) need to keep to the recommended interval of the product and that b) if you treat now, there is nothing your vet can do until the next interval is up and that c) we do not recommend home treating on spec for obvious reasons.

It's Xeno 200 and I am not going to treat him as I don't know what the vet will say..but I just gave his cage mate her 2nd dose (first was 16 days ago) in a month which is what it says on the bottle to do in case of infestation. There is another dose due in 4wks.

I had already been planning to give them all the infestation dosage as I thought they were itching more than normal and just wanted to take precautions. Unfortunately, my spray bottle is nearly out so I can't give anybody else a dose today.
For routine prevention of common ectoparasites this dose should be repeated monthly. For the treatment of an existing infestation, repeat doses are required two weeks and four weeks after the initial application.
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-supplies-rabbit-mite-treatments-c-649_418/xeno-200-spray-ivermectin-50ml-spray-p-1502

If it is mites, she will need a higher dosed product than a preventative spray. You will also have to discuss with your vet thether your spray is appropriate to treat her companions.

Ah, well just as well I've run out and only sprayed one! I'll see what the vet says on Monday but will tell my friend to put Lanacane on the wound so he doesn't scratch it.

On a side note, I was just about to order the Xeno 200 but have seen this product: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/ivermectin-drops-1-5ml.html and wondered if that could be used as a preventative drops treatment since I'm not sure how effective the spray has been since they don't have much bare skin to spray on. I'm not sure how this 1% concentration compares with 40µg/1 spray per 100g of Xeno 200 so wondered if you knew?

Ah, well just as well I've run out and only sprayed one! I'll see what the vet says on Monday but will tell my friend to put Lanacane on the wound so he doesn't scratch it.

On a side note, I was just about to order the Xeno 200 but have seen this product: http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/ivermectin-drops-1-5ml.html and wondered if that could be used as a preventative drops treatment since I'm not sure how effective the spray has been since they don't have much bare skin to spray on. I'm not sure how this 1% concentration compares with 40µg/1 spray per 100g of Xeno 200 so wondered if you knew?

I would talk it over with your vet. Personally, I don't think that preventative ivermectin products are all that much use and rather pay for the vet treatment for any acutely infected piggies and good quality products like xeno 450 to prevent the companions from catching the mites whenever I have an outbreak, which is not all that often.

I don't think it's an abscess as I have handled him regularly and never felt any lumps before. I had another piggy who had an abscess once and it was a very noticeable lump and when it popped it was seeping fluid that didn't smell too good for ages.

I will see what the vet says. I bought the Xeno 200 as it seemed good value in a spray but I would rather prevent than treat an infestation as £45 + meds a pop for 1 piggy to get an injection at the vet when I have 7 is not feasible!

How do you use that Easimec? It seems it only needs a few drops and drops would be easier to absorb than 10 sprays of liquid most of which just stay on the hairs or get soaked by the bedding.

the Easimec is 3 drops on the back/neck of each piggie I think its every 7 days but it has instructions. I know what you mean about vets and expense per pig. I don't tend to take mine unless I have no idea what to do, or am very concerned. Most breeders (bad I know, but knowledgeable), treat at home for this reason. The Easimec lasts for ages too even with lots of piggies.

And make sure everything they have access to is squeaky clean/disinfected although I think this is more important for fungal problems. If fungal, gorgeous guineas have brilliant products. Actually for any skin problems so it may be worth a thought. :)

After applying Lanacane for only 3 days it healed up enough to stop him itching. I was away until the end of the week and have not taken him to a vet yet. It has healed up and now looks flakey so it might be fungal so am applying Enilconazole to see if it makes a difference. None of the others seem to be affected but I will watch them carefully.

That Easimec, I know it's once a week but that's too frequent for me. Isn't there a preventative ivermectin that is monthly?

The Easimec is just a treatment to get rid of mites, I am not sure how or if you can use it less often as a preventative measure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back