• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Had to take Arnold to the vets...AGAIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My poor boy has been screaming when he's been trying to go to the loo. I thought it was while he was trying to poo but we found out today that it's when he tries to wee.
He wee'd on the vets table and screamed as he did. He was a brave boy and didn't bite the vet, thankfully!

But the vet said that he could feet a lump on one side or Arnold underneath. I forget the exact word he used. I think he said abdomen but it might be because that's about the only fancy word I know.
But Arnold has to go back next Tuesday for X-Rays and the vet took a urine sample.

I'm so worried. My poor boy never gets any peace. It's one thing after another.

My baby Arnold :( I want to know what's wrong with him...

BIG HUG!

It is so gutting to see a piggy of yours suffering. I hope that you can get to the bottom of what is causing his pain.

Awwwwwww :( :( :( I'm so so sorry to hear about Arnold its awful when you dont know whats causing the pain and how to help them hope you find some answers on tuesday poor baby, *big hugs* to you and arnold xxxxxx

I'm just glad I've found such a good vet. I know he'll be in good hands on Tuesday. My brother, bless him, said he'll pick Arnold up in the morning and drop him over there and then he'll bring him back in the evening, so I don't have to panic and I can go to work without stressing.

I just hope it's all okay. The vet said that if the urine sample brings up anything interesting then he'll call me and let me know.

Just got a call from the vet now. Arnold has a urine infection but they still want me to go ahead with the X-rays on tuesday. I guess it's because it doesn't solve the problem of his lump.

He's going to do up some antibiotics for me to pick up tomorrow which my brother will go out and get for me...I'd be lost without him, I swear!
My family are worrying because of the cost but I can't think about that now. I'll manage...I always manage. Pigs first, me second. That's my rule.

Fingers and paws crossed for Arnold. x
(can I be nosey and ask what vets you take him to thanks. always on the lookout for an alternative piggy vet. thanks)

Fingers and paws crossed for Arnold. x
(can I be nosey and ask what vets you take him to thanks. always on the lookout for an alternative piggy vet. thanks)

Ark Vets - Pinhoe.

http://www.arkvets-exeter.co.uk/

There's their site. It's very small and lovely. I was sat in the waiting room chatting with the receptionist today, it's very easy-going and you don't feel like you're just a number.

Their main vet is a little rough around the edges, he seems a little rude but he's very good.

Oh poor you and poor Artie......

Hugs to both.......

Re the lump.....Out of interest has Artie been neutered?

Re: the antibiotics - For info: A lot of people will give probiotics to a piggie on antibiotics so you might like to ask further about this. Do you happen to know if a culture of the urine sample was done or was it just examined microscopically or using a dipstick method? A lot of vets will only prescribe baytril for piggies as it is the only licensed antibiotic for this species but more and more vets now are prescribing septrin off-license as it appears to be a better bet for clearing up urine infections (especially stubborn ones)

Re the pain: This might be a difficult thing to do.....some vets don;t take very kindly to owners "suggestions" and obviously you don;t want to upset anybody.....so if it helps you can print out this post and take it to the vet ;)

It might be worth asking your vet tomorrow whether a painkiller such as metacam (which is also anti-inflammatory) can be prescribed for a few days as in view of your description of the pain he is in it would help the little fellow.

The reason for asking for this is as follows:
When a piggie is in pain they stop eating so much and their weight can go down quite dramatically. It can also cause gut motility problems and , over a longer period of time, overgrowing teeth problems. A painkiller will help them towards eating their full daily quota.

Over the years I have had guinea pigs with inoperable kidney stones, urine/bladder infections, interstitial cystitis and bladder stones. In all cases they dropped weight and didn;t take on so much food untill they got some pain meds. Sometimes the first indication of a problem wasn;t squeaking while weeing or appearance of urine....but their sudden unexplained loss of weight.

I realise that Metacam given LONG TERM "might" possibly affect the kidneys (which is why understandably some vets are reluctant to prescribe it at all for piggies who have a urinary system problem). However my exotics vet will always put a piggie on short term metacam if pain/not -eating is involved.....His view (which I personally share) is that the short term complication of gut stasis/starvation is a much bigger risk to the piggy's health than the possible long term complications of metacam.

(There are also other painkillers your vet might prefer to prescribe such as rimadyl)

It would also be worth weighing him every day at the moment to make sure he isn;t losing weight .....and monitoring his poo output (sze, shape, frequency, consistency) for any signs that his gut motility is affected (especially as he is being given an antibiotic)

You also "might" need to prepare yourself to syringe feed him either Oxbow critical care or Supreme Recovery for a few days to keep his weight up and his guts moving. Hopefully this won;t be the case...but it;s worth being prepared anyway.

Glad to hear the infection is diagnosed and the little guy will be sorted with some antibiotics......Good luck with the X ray...fingers crossed it will not show anything significant.

BTW - just in case you want to print this out and show it to your vet...for their info my bona fides are that I am a qualified microbiologist (to PhD level)..and have owned piggies for the last 15 years.

x

Aw bless his little heart, it must be horrible for you to hear him screaming, lets hope the lump is nothing to worry about and that the antibiotics can clear up the infection. x

The vet gave me Baytril for Arnold, which my brother picked up for me.
He also told my brother that he thinks Arnold might have bladder stones, he seems to think that's what it's all pointing to but we won't know until he's had those X-rays.

My poor little chap is a bit under the weather today. So I'm keeping a close eye on him. He just seems very quiet. I was told to call straight away if he gets really unwell...So I'll be on guard all day :{

so many piggies....so many bladder stones!

I went through this last year with my pepper hon, good luck, take real good care of Arnold and make sure you keep a close eye for any thing.

Sadly i lost my boy, was devastating to watch him :(

so many piggies....so many bladder stones!

I went through this last year with my pepper hon, good luck, take real good care of Arnold and make sure you keep a close eye for any thing.

Sadly i lost my boy, was devastating to watch him :(

That's so sad. I'm so sorry.

He seemed happy enough to take veggies but he's just very quiet and he's not overly interested. He didn't even run away when I went near him. Normally he just darts off.
But he's eating his hay and veggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back