• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hagrid bites 😳

Potterpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just as the title says really! The little mare keeps biting me! He is young, about 3 months old. If you pick him up he sits fine, then all of a sudden you've got teeth in your hand. None of the other pigs have done this, but we haven't had a pig this young before. Is this normal or have I offended him 🙈 he is gaining wait beautifully and is a very loud wheaker. I have no concerns about him (other than the shark like behaviour!). Thank you 😁

Just as the title says really! The little mare keeps biting me! He is young, about 3 months old. If you pick him up he sits fine, then all of a sudden you've got teeth in your hand. None of the other pigs have done this, but we haven't had a pig this young before. Is this normal or have I offended him 🙈 he is gaining wait beautifully and is a very loud wheaker. I have no concerns about him (other than the shark like behaviour!). Thank you 😁

Hi!

Have a look at this guide here: " Biting" And What You Can Do

He did actually just pee on the floor a few mins later. He isn't scared, he comes to you if you open the door and he hasn't bitten the kids. He is just sitting there and next minute he's calmly hanging off your hand lol. X

Please read the guide - it deals with all aspects of biting, nipping, tweaking, nibbling etc. which do have very different meanings and contexts and have to be therefore addressed in very different ways. ;)

Please read the guide - it deals with all aspects of biting, nipping, tweaking, nibbling etc. which do have very different meanings and contexts and have to be therefore addressed in very different ways. ;)

It looks like I'm being dominated by a 600g, 3 month old guinea pig 🙈 thank you for the advice Wiebke. X

It looks like I'm being dominated by a 600g, 3 month old guinea pig 🙈 thank you for the advice Wiebke. X

Just use our piggy whispering tips to invite him into your group and then establish your authority, but always making clear that you love him and value him. That will correct the issue and put your relationship on the right footing. Guinea pigs are rather like dogs; they think in terms of group hierarchy and will push the limits if the hierarchy is not reinforced in a good way.
Who is the boss - your guinea pig or you?

Have I spoilt him? He's always been very loved and I will chat to him even in the middle of the night if I get up for anything 😬 the youngest pig we had was about 5/6 months so he was a new experience for us being so young. X

Have I spoilt him? He's always been very loved and I will chat to him even in the middle of the night if I get up for anything 😬 the youngest pig we had was about 5/6 months so he was a new experience for us being so young. X

You can love him and give him piggy kisses etc. as much as you want, as long as you make clear who is the boss when the chips are down. you will find that your relationship will be a lot better because it is also a relief for your little one to know that he is a firm and accepted part of a family and to be reassured that he is valued and wanted. ;)

It is just one of these areas where piggy and human expectations clash. By seeing things from his side and addressing the issue in the frame that makes eminent sense to him, you introduce a level of understanding and mutual respect into the equation.

You can love him and give him piggy kisses etc. as much as you want, as long as you make clear who is the boss when the chips are down. you will find that your relationship will be a lot better because it is also a relief for your little one to know that he is a firm and accepted part of a family and to be reassured that he is valued and wanted. ;)

That is so cute! I must also remember to not go from one set of pigs to the other in case he is a woody and sensitive to the smell of the others. I do wash my hands but when they've sat on you they clearly leave a scent. He's such a sweetie I will definitely start following the guide from tomorrow when he comes out again. He's always getting a lot of cuddles so I hope he does think he is wanted. I still cant really tell who the boss is with Ron and hagrid, Ron is a dad figure to him, hagrid just follows but hagrid is the one who goes jumping all over Ron and snatches food from Ron x

That is so cute! I must also remember to not go from one set of pigs to the other in case he is a woody and sensitive to the smell of the others. I do wash my hands but when they've sat on you they clearly leave a scent. He's such a sweetie I will definitely start following the guide from tomorrow when he comes out again. He's always getting a lot of cuddles so I hope he does think he is wanted. I still cant really tell who the boss is with Ron and hagrid, Ron is a dad figure to him, hagrid just follows but hagrid is the one who goes jumping all over Ron and snatches food from Ron x

Hagrid is just starting to come up to the teenage months and is starting to push the envelope a bit. It has nothing to do with love, but a lot to do with establishing his place.

Some piggies nibble/tweak as a sign that they need to pee, but if you establish that you do not like him to tell you that way, he will find another way to tell you.

He did pee within 60 seconds of me putting him to the floor but this isn't the first bite (and its always me he bites never the kids and my daughter gets him out more than I do). What a cheeky mare. Thank you x

The whispering tips really do work. Spike the b/w aby in my avatar was a biter when he was young, he was 'cured' very quickly once we got the right message across to him.
Hagrid is gorgeous, I love his colouring.

The whispering tips really do work. Spike the b/w aby in my avatar was a biter when he was young, he was 'cured' very quickly once we got the right message across to him.
Hagrid is gorgeous, I love his colouring.
This is great to hear thank you! Hagrid is like woody colour wise but woody is brown and then like a rust colour and hagrid is black with the rust colour 😍 I thought he would get lighter as he grew but he hasn't x

He's absolutely gorgeous and so cute. Hope he settled down soon, sure he's just being a feisty teenager.xx

Our Piggle used to bite my husband, when she was in her teenage phase, and he was scared to hold her, then she'd dominate him and bite him even more- but the piggy whispering tips really helped and she hardly ever bites now, not even the vet!

Our Piggle used to bite my husband, when she was in her teenage phase, and he was scared to hold her, then she'd dominate him and bite him even more- but the piggy whispering tips really helped and she hardly ever bites now, not even the vet!
Buzz bit the vet but rightfully so... I'd bite someone squeezing pus out of me too 😂 thank you x

Back