• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hair cut for summertime

hannahs26

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
With this hot weather we're having I decided it was time to be brave, and give our two young Texel girls a hair cut. Took them outside, one by one, and had the children help distract them with treats while I trimmed them with the fairly quiet hair clippers. Little Piglet, who had some matting around her bottom when she came to us and has been sensitive to being groomed there, jumped about and squeaked heaps, like the first time I combed her. Poor little love. I managed to get a lot off her back and sides, but not as much around her bottom, as it was upsetting her too much. I'll have a try with scissors when she's eating veggies one eve instead. Rayla though was much calmer about it, only kicking me a few times when I trimmed her bottom, so she's had a lovely trim. Both girls weren't happy with the trimmers near their head, so they still have some fluffy bits left around their ears - but in general, I'm really pleased with how we got on :-) I'll continue to provide wrapped ice packs in their enclosure for them during this heat, but hoping they'll be much more comfortable now :-) I already miss their gorgeous flowing waves, but will no doubt enjoy them again over the winter :-)

Here is a "before" photo:
media-share-0-02-0a-2ac2aa158fa842e249047e306a8f11bed614b46e87295ed3ce30ee9432ccf824-d16ee61b-...jpg
Here's an after photo:
media-share-0-02-0a-a27d5f9288bc915be8ce212a9cd2321e81cebc5741fec41dfa773b5434e070d7-119c1bab-...jpg

They look gorgeous before and after ! I’m sure they’ll feel much cooler without their long hair - and by winter when a bit of extra warmth is needed it’ll have grown back ! You did really well !

They look gorgeous before and after ! I’m sure they’ll feel much cooler without their long hair - and by winter when a bit of extra warmth is needed it’ll have grown back ! You did really well !
Thank you :-) It was definitely less nervewracking than cutting nails, for sure...
🤣

You've done a good job there! Just keep doing Little Piglet's trousers and the bit round her bum a bit at a time while someone distracts her front end with something tasty.

Brill. . It's so hard to cut hair. Especially on a piggie that won't keep still. Defo better with 2 helping . .
Well done.

You've done a good job there! Just keep doing Little Piglet's trousers and the bit round her bum a bit at a time while someone distracts her front end with something tasty.
Will do. :-) Thanks! Was wondering whether I should do a shorter cut next year, as they still seem to have a lot of thickness to their coats. I didn't want to redo the whole thing for them both this time though, as felt it would be too stressful.

Back