• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hair Loss during Bathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

majidemo

Reaction score
I was giving my piggies a bath when i noticed the water was full of their hair/fur. is this normal? they do have a soar area, circular in shape ive been applying antibiotic cream cuz I'm thinking its somekind of fungus. its been a week & i believe its getting better they dont cry as much as before when they are handled.. please advice.

ILoveGilbertTheGuineaPig

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I personally haven't bathed my pig before, but I think it is normal because when I pet my guinea pig, he sheds a large amount of fur. So I believe it would be the same with bathing. I don't know about the fungus problem, sorry. Hope they get better. xxxxxxxxx

Cinnamon

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They might be stressed going into the water? Because when my guinea pigs are stressed they shed a little of their fur, Or maybe the water was too cold or too hot?

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

What you describe is not normal, it is possible that it is a fungal infection as you suspected - the hair loss and the patch of missing hair is typical of a fungal issue. However, antibiotic cream will not do anything to help, an anti-fungal cream is useful but anti-fungal baths preferable.

I would recommend paying a visit to a cavy-savvy vet for a sure diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.