• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hair loss: negative test results for mites and ringworm

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfieldette

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

Have just come back from the vets (again). We are trying to get to the bottom of a recurring hairloss problem. Back history can be read in this thread http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63267

The test results have come back negative for mites and for ringworm. All 4 of my guinea pigs have not responded to the Invectimin injection they were given 10 days ago (although Colby was brighter in himself for about 3 days but hairloss has not improved and he is grumpy again).

I would really appreciate any suggestions from you all on what we can look at next as the cause. Vet and I have agreed to go away and do some further research to see what else might be causing the problem.

Vit C deficiency is the only other suggestion at the moment and vet has given me Vit C tablets to get down them. As they get more fresh fruit and vedge than I do each day I am doubting this is the problem but willing to give it a go.

Any suggestions on what we can look at next please?

Thanks in advance

Beki
itchy Colby, Lara, Mo and Mel

Hi Beki,

One of my pigs had Symetrical hairloss. Which also looked very much like ringworm when tested he was negative to and he's been treated for mites. Are all you pigs affected? How does it appear on the body?

I found increasing his Vitamin C helpful for improving the coat condition.

Last edited:
My teddy guinea pigs seem to lose hair a lot, especially in the winter. All the dry air gives them dry skin and they lose a lot of hair from that. I know they don't have mites or ringworm either. Maybe it's just dry air that's causing this. I don't really know, it's just a suggestion. I hope you figure out what's causing the hair loss in your piggies! :)

Oh Lordy...what a difficult/horrible position to find yourself in.

If you are COMPLETELY happy it;s not mites, fungal ......OR ENVIRONMENTAL......then the next possible cause to be considered is hormonal -

In view of what you have already said in your two threads I personally don;t thinkthere is much more to be gained by subsequent posts on the forum to this thread as answers could become too technical and there could be a lot of "what i'fs" which could actually lead people (inc other posters) in the wrong direction reading this thread in the future

Would you be prepared to talk over the phone?

Pm me for my phone number

x

Last edited:
Hi Beki,

One of my pigs had Symetrical hairloss. Which also looked very much like ringworm when tested he was negative to and he's been treated for mites. Are all you pigs affected? How does it appear on the body?

I found increasing his Vitamin C helpful for improving the coat condition.

Hi Joanne

Colby (short haired) has hair loss in a strip down his back but there is no flaking skin and its not red. He also has hairloss on his inner rear thighs and the skin does look a little pink there.

Lara (short haired) has a small patch missing on the middle lower back, but again no flaking or red skin.

Mo (teddy) has dandruffy skin but no fur patches missing, although the vet did pull some fur from her back this evening (poor mo).

Mel (Merino) has a small patch of dandruffy skin in the middle of her back but no hair loss although she is scratching a lot.

I could only suggest allergy? I dont know too well about allergies in piggies but hair loss certainly can be caused by allergies in cats/dogs.

Just a thought? Maybe you could try and exclusion diet, if you chat to the vet etc about it?

Overgooming is another possiblity or like said before hormonal maybe?

x.

I would Pm Pebbles for her number. She was very helpful when my Bette was Ill, she also gave me alot of great advise when we had reoccurring Uti's to.

Hi Joanne

Colby (short haired) has hair loss in a strip down his back but there is no flaking skin and its not red. He also has hairloss on his inner rear thighs and the skin does look a little pink there.

Lara (short haired) has a small patch missing on the middle lower back, but again no flaking or red skin.

Mo (teddy) has dandruffy skin but no fur patches missing, although the vet did pull some fur from her back this evening (poor mo).

Mel (Merino) has a small patch of dandruffy skin in the middle of her back but no hair loss although she is scratching a lot.

Taking into account the other info and Vit c/other treatments you have already tried in your previous threads, the symptoms you are now describing are too diverse to even guess at a common cause for all piggies UNLESS it is either
a) environmental (central heating/dry air....temperature changes spring to mind) or
b) genetic/metabolic

HOWEVER.....It could also be that they have different causes but similar symptoms....so we need to go through each case history in detail.

I am not prepared to speculate in public any further becuase I don;t want other readers to be led up the wrong path with their own guineas problems that could result in risk to their own piggies....

.I'm sorry if you think I am being awkward, but this really needs to be a telecon as there are too many questions to pose/info to be assessed . Lets' try and sort the problem...then you can post the answer(s) on here for the benefit of other users.......

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back