• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hair on nose seems to think out

Leon

New Born Pup
Reaction score
This little guy has been sticking his nose thru the grates to sniff his other buddy. I'm not sure if the other one is nipping at him but it seems thinner. There is a little dried skin or crust on his nose. He runs around and eats and drinks normally.

Could it be ringworm? It came up when I was searching.

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_140543.jpg
    IMG_20200830_140543.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 31
This little guy has been sticking his nose thru the grates to sniff his other buddy. I'm not sure if the other one is nipping at him but it seems thinner. There is a little dried skin or crust on his nose. He runs around and eats and drinks normally.

Could it be ringworm? It came up when I was searching.

Hi!

No need to worry; his hair has just dried spikier and he has definitely stuck his wet nose into something rather filthy!
He'll clean it off himself in the next couple of days.

If you are worried about ringworm, please have a look at the pictures at the end of this guide here so you can recognise it when you see it. It doesn't look anything like what your boy has on his nose: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

This is more of a top view. I don't know if his buddy is nipping when they sniff each other thru the grids or maybe mites?

I had to to add a divider in the cage because I noticed a bite on his back end

Attachments

• IMG_20200830_213837.jpg
    IMG_20200830_213837.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 22
Hi

Does look like mites to me and it’s not that area where you would see indicators of it.
So is your piggy on its own?
Just Confused over how you can get a bite in the rear End through bars. 😟

They used to be together. After I noticed a scab on his butt I put the center divider in.

They used to be together. After I noticed a scab on his butt I put the center divider in.

If you are concerned about it being ringworm, then it’s best to get him vet checked.

Did you see any problems in their bond other than a scab on his back end ie did you see actual fights or bullying? A scab could be through an accidental scratch and in itself I wouldn’t separate without other cause for concern about their bond

The older one was nipping at him. There wasn't a tangled brawl that I saw but a little teeth chattering and then he would kind of turn fast and nup at his rear end

He does stick his nose thru the holes a lot. He could be irritating it in the bars. I don't see him itching or nibbling himself

They were fine when he was younger but now he's bigger and was trying to mount the older one.

Mounting and teeth chattering are entirely normal dominance behaviours between boars and not, on their own, a sign of a problem. You haven’t said how old they are, but seeing an increase in dominance when they (or one
Of them if they are different ages) hit their teens is entirely normal. It’s only if they aren’t compatible and they can’t come to an agreement over who is dominant , or if the younger one makes a play to be top pig and the dominant doesn’t like it, that you need to separate them but otherwise you will see dominance behaviours from boars throughout their entire lives - my two year old boar pair love nothing more than mounting and rumbling at each other. As this is a health thread though , if you would like a discussion further advice about this, then do open a thread in the behaviour section

Regarding the nose, only a vet is going to be able to tell you if there is a medical issue going on there or whether it is caused simply by him putting his nose through the bars

I'm going to drop them off at my cousin's animal hospital tomorrow. They've been digging down I think they're trying to get under the barrier.
This is his cage mate on the other side. He's got some gunk on his nose too

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_173651.jpg
    IMG_20200831_173651.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 7
No mites, she took a swab with little guys' nose but they said it looks like bites. So I added a piece to cover the grid so he can't stick his nose through it.

I'm going to drop them off at my cousin's animal hospital tomorrow. They've been digging down I think they're trying to get under the barrier.
This is his cage mate on the other side. He's got some gunk on his nose too
The nose area shouldn’t be hairless like that. I’d get him checked again.

Back