• Potential Forum Meet - Manchester Saturday March 2nd Details here!.
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.
  • As from Wednesday, 30th January, Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic will be relocating to 1 The Drive, Northampton, NN1 4RY

Haircut tips for unwilling pigs

mizzaroo

Junior Guinea Pig
I have two fairly medium/long hair pigs. One doesn't enjoy being brushed if a tangle gets caught and pulled by the brush, but the other really dislikes it. Sadly, because of her longer hair, she does need a comb every so often to ensure none of it is matted. She keeps herself in good condition, and the only really problem I ever encounter is hairs that are just starting to stick together because she's sat in a spot where she's just peed.

Does anyone have any tips? She yells like mad, and scuttles around, which means I end up accidentally pulling her hair. I use a comb with teeth fairly wide apart, so if she doesn't move too much she's fine, but of course, she moves. At best I can get her to hide by my elbow, and I get a few good brushes in.

Wiebke

Staff member
I have two fairly medium/long hair pigs. One doesn't enjoy being brushed if a tangle gets caught and pulled by the brush, but the other really dislikes it. Sadly, because of her longer hair, she does need a comb every so often to ensure none of it is matted. She keeps herself in good condition, and the only really problem I ever encounter is hairs that are just starting to stick together because she's sat in a spot where she's just peed.

Does anyone have any tips? She yells like mad, and scuttles around, which means I end up accidentally pulling her hair. I use a comb with teeth fairly wide apart, so if she doesn't move too much she's fine, but of course, she moves. At best I can get her to hide by my elbow, and I get a few good brushes in.
Hi!

I find it easiest with my own long-haired piggies to keep the back and the area around the genitals and legs cut short, as they are the ones that mat quickest. Keep the lower layers on the sides shorter as well but you can keep the top layer longer if you wish to. That again is helping with the matting and allowing your piggy to enjoy life as they should.

Give her a short haircut in summer; by autumn the hair will have grown back, but it is such a relief for her to not to lug the equivalent of a skisuit around a tropical beach.

Use our piggy whispering tips to assert your authority, but also to give your girl plenty of love and reassurance. Be generous with praise.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

@Betsy has written a wonderful guide to Cavy Coiffure which is helpful as well as funny.
I don’t know how to link a thread but if you type Cavy Coiffure in the search function you should find it.
My long haired lady usually ends up with a decidedly lopsided haircut as she doesn’t believe in sitting still for me

Wiebke

Staff member
But it can be a piggy wrestling experience with those that have made bad experiences like my Tesni and Ffwlbri, who arrived in rescue totally matted in an unsuitable, uncleaned rat cage. The best way for them was to keep their hair short so I didn't have to groom and cut them all the time. :(

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
I try to trim the back end of my longer-haired pigs because none of them have enjoyed being brushed. They don't enjoy being snipped either, really, but I generally buy them off with a treat to eat on my lap and then quickly lop of the back that would be long enough to drag. Because mine are only half-shelties, the only long part is on the bum... if I had to trim hair everywhere I'm pretty sure I would need a helper to keep them still long enough!

AnnieMills

Junior Guinea Pig
Today I bought animal fur clippers and I’m loving them...low noise and vibration.... got both my boys bums trimmed right down with zero fuss! Much much easier than using scissors for us 😍