• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hairless nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepiggymum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I rescued a 2 month old boar from P@H last night, he is absolutely adorable! So friendly, and relaxed. They told me he needs his teeth clipped every 3-4 weeks, which is fine. But on closer inspection I noticed he has a few chunks of hair missing on his nose/forehead. It doesn't look red or inflamed or scabby/flakey etc. Any ideas what it might be?
I don't know anything about his history, apparently he was handed in there because of the teeth "issue".

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds very much like a fungal complaint to me.

Best have him seen and checked for any health issues by a good, piggy savvy vet - so any tooth issues don't get made worse by an ignoramus!

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with Wiebke that fungal sounds fairly likely, it commonly begins on the face.

I would be highly suspect of him needing his teeth clipped, at such a young age too. Is he eating ok by himself?

wannabepiggymum

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
yeh he has been eating fine, he has a good appetite and gets through plenty of hay! I'm very suspect about the teeth needing clipped, because he is so young. Our practice nurse went down to have a look at him first for me, and she said she didn't think he would need it - but she can do it easily for me if he does.

He is absolutely adorable though, I don't understand why somebody would give him away!

Status
Not open for further replies.