• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hammam Towel In Cage?

AnnaHeath

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, about to embark on making a cage liner with fleece and iron on wunderweb, as I can't sew. I need a huge 150cm X 75cm liner and am debating the options for the absorbent layer between top and bottom fleece.. Looking for economy also as I need two liners and incotinamce bed sheets of that size seem expensive. Wondering about hammam towels-Turkish fine 100% cotton that's Ate supposed to be mpre absorbent than are regular towel. Has anyone Else tried this or any other ideas? My currently liners made y piggie pigpigs have wadding but not sure it's ironable and can't get in touch with her to ask. X

Found this thread How To Make A Cage Liner (with Pics) that may help with ideas?

I would imagine towels would work for sure. Hoping you may get some advice soon, if not try a google search, let us know how you get on with your project :)

The problem with towels is that they are heavy and take a lot of drying. I use quilted matress covers chopped up, they need to be the 100% cotton ones, I use 2 layers of mattress cover between 2 layers of fleece.

I use Zorb in my larger liners to make handling them a bit easier.
I am lucky because a friend brings it back for me when she goes to the US, but you can buy it on Ebay in the UK I think.
For smaller liners I find an old beach towel as the absorbent layer works quite well.
A quick hunt through the airing cupboard showed me we had plenty of spare towels!

The one thing I would say is that I don't think the iron on wonder-web will be enough to hold it all together - sorry.
I know someone else on here tried that and it fell apart at the first wash, and it would be a shame if you cut all of your material to size and it didn't work.
Maybe start with an off cut and make a test pad?
The other alternative is not to sew at all.
Just put down your waterproof layer (I use an old oil cloth table cloth), then your absorbent layer (your towels) and then the fleece over the top.
This will make it easier to wash, and you can double up on absorbent bits in the high pee areas.

Thanks all, I have a waterproof sheet which is 100% cotton front and 100% polyurethane back, do you think that will work as the absorbent layer? I don't think i understand the need for 100% cotton , can someone explain please. Am going to do a trial pad in a litter tray I have that goes under their gay in their current cage x

Forgot to say I'm building a new cage also! And I'm not creative at all... Argghh!

If it's not cotton the wee doesn't pass through into the absorbant layer, the outer fleece stays wet. I found that out the hard way!

A good way to decide if something will work as the absorbent layer is to put it on a hard surface, and dump a small cup of water on it.
If it absorbs the water then it is a good choice.
If the water soaks straight through and sits as a puddle underneath then it isn't a good choice!

Back