Hamster disturbs new Guinea Pig?

AnnaHeartsGuineaPigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! :love:

So very soon I will be adopting a guinea pig from my local shelter (she is alone but I am looking for a friend just fyi) and I have a question about my hamster and my guinea pig being in the same room.

Hamsters are nocturnal and mine runs on his wheel a lot at night, he also just generally rustes and moves a lot around the cage. Do you think this will bother the piggie trying to sleep? On the flip side, do you think the noises my guinea pig will make during the day will annoy my hamster?

I'm also a bit concerned about the first week having my piggie home. When I first get her home, I'm planning to just leave her to settle for a week or two and not start taming until she is completely settled in. Will she be affected my me coming in the room a lot to both handle my hamster and to just generally do things involving my hamster?

TLDR: Will my hamster annoy my new guinea pig and/or vice versa? What can I do to prevent this (putting their cages far away, getting them used to each other, etc. etc.)?

Thank you so much for any responses! :nod:

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I had my hammy and piggies in the same room they didn’t even acknowledge each other, I think they’ll be just fine, this is of course just my experience :) as your piggie gets used to noises she’ll eventually sleep through most things, my boys sleep through my Netflix :))

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I can’t see that this will be a problem at all. It’s no different to having the noises of people, or birds outside etc

Provided you don’t creep around trying to be quiet, your piggy will get used to comings and goings. what you don’t want to try us creep around as predators creep up silently and that’ll scare your piggy more. You should make a noise so your piggy knows you are there And they will be less scared.

Guinea pigs only sleep for short periods at a time but do so during the day and night so your piggy is going to be awake making noise at night as well. They are most active during the early morning and early evening.