• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hand / Syringe Feeding Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hello, roddys op went well, though eating after not so well. He has eaten a few strands of hay and a few bits of veg oh and a little nuggets, do I just leave him now or does he need more assistance? I was given a pack of after care syringe feeding food but I've not a clue how much or how often honestly. I have already given him a little but he's not impressed! I don't think he's eating enough and often enough so guess he needs a hand. So my questions please (sorry)
-Should I be helping him eat or as he's had some do I just leave him to it?
-How much syringe food should I be giving and how often?
-any tips on syringe feeding as Roddy isn't keem?
-do I need to syringe water as well?
-can I do anything to keep the teeth trim while he isn't eating hay?
-and does he need feeding during the night?
Thank you in advance and sorry for being a pain, just want to make sure I am doing the best for roddy!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Quite a number of piggies don't like the taste of recovery food. Try mushed up pellets instead.

Did you get pain relief? Whether you need to feed throughout the night depends on much he is eating during the day.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
He is having 0.3ml metacam daily. I have read through your guide but I'm still confused.. I have a 1ml syringe. How much do I give him in one go? And how often? He has eaten a little but not a lot and I'm just worried about the gut stopping. I'm really confused about this syringe feeding. Sorry

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would aim for at least 5ml every couple of hours, more if he will take it. The ideal amount is 120ml in a 24 hour period but I know that can be difficult if you are not used to hand feeding. Have a look at the section on how much to feed in what situation though.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you very much, I have just had my husband read through it and I think I get it lol! Thank you ever so much for your help :-)

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sorry it me again, he is refusing point blank to have any syringe food, he is more than happy to eat beans and a few other things though. Would it be ok to keep feeding that instead as he wont let me syringe feed him?

Teddybear22

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
I have no experience on this so I can't help... but I hope he will begin to eat well soon. Hugs!

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yes that would be ok, but weigh him now and if he starts dropping you will need to hand feed. Will he eat it out of a bowl? You could also try mushing his pellets up and you could also puree his veg and put it in too.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg Hello everyone, I am so pleased to say that since i last came on here roddy has been eating this that and everything :-) he is completely back to his Normal self :-) thank you so so much for all your help! Here is a picture of him this morning.. Actually 2, and you can see what he's had done

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Post op went well thank you. Was in and out in about 5 minutes. They say he is healing really well. Got to go back in 8 days for a final check.

Status
Not open for further replies.