• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Handling my girls after bonding

Sam88

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Sam, I am new to the forum and was hoping your experience could help me with my new arrivals!
So I rescued a 4-5 month old female which we have named Bear about a month ago. She is gorgeous, and very affectionate.
A few weeks later I rescued a bonded pair of females, Poppy and Skye, also around 4 months. Poppy had recently had her eye removed due to entropian. When I rescued her it was 3 weeks post opp, and all healed nicely.
My other half has built an indoor area for them, around 15 square feet, which he is just added the finishing touches too.
After a settle in period, I have attempted to bond them. Bear, our lonely sow is very dominant, but they are slowly becoming more comfortable with each other, eating together, and sleeping close by, with some rumble strutting inbetween.
They have been together 24 hours, and would say they aren't harmonious yet as Bear is still intent on trying to let them know who is boss!
I haven't handled them since bonding and am wondering if I should leave it a while until they are more settled etc. I just don't want to cause any issues taking one out for lap time if it will cause arguments when they are back together.
If anyone has any idea what I should do/how long I should go without handling that would be wonderful!

Attachments

• IMG-20210322-WA0020.jpeg
    IMG-20210322-WA0020.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210314_183156977.jpg
    PXL_20210314_183156977.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 6
I would be guided by them. If you’re to take them out I’d suggest getting them all out rather than one at a time. They could be next to you on the sofa and you could then have them on your lap one at a time or all three if you can manage that. It will take two weeks for their hierarchy to be fully established 🙂

Aw well done you for rescuing these gorgeous girlies x
I would definitely keep them together so no one has a chance to be iffy when one goes back into the cage.
Here is a photo of my old newly bonded Ted to Ginger and Posh on the sofa together last summer. If handling all three at a time is a handful, collect all piggies into a large storage box and carry them over to the sofa, that way they keep together and you won’t be back and forth trying to catch piggies 😉
1616707311843.jpeg

Hi everyone,
My name is Sam, I am new to the forum and was hoping your experience could help me with my new arrivals!
So I rescued a 4-5 month old female which we have named Bear about a month ago. She is gorgeous, and very affectionate.
A few weeks later I rescued a bonded pair of females, Poppy and Skye, also around 4 months. Poppy had recently had her eye removed due to entropian. When I rescued her it was 3 weeks post opp, and all healed nicely.
My other half has built an indoor area for them, around 15 square feet, which he is just added the finishing touches too.
After a settle in period, I have attempted to bond them. Bear, our lonely sow is very dominant, but they are slowly becoming more comfortable with each other, eating together, and sleeping close by, with some rumble strutting inbetween.
They have been together 24 hours, and would say they aren't harmonious yet as Bear is still intent on trying to let them know who is boss!
I haven't handled them since bonding and am wondering if I should leave it a while until they are more settled etc. I just don't want to cause any issues taking one out for lap time if it will cause arguments when they are back together.
If anyone has any idea what I should do/how long I should go without handling that would be wonderful!

Hi!

The dominance behaviour is perfectly normal. A bonding isn't lasting just a few hours but in effect two weeks until the group is fully established. The first 2-3 days are usually toughest; it depends on how confident the leader is. Dominance behaviour should gradually settle down after that.

Make sure that you have only got hides with two exits in the cage during the post-bonding dominance phase but it sounds like everything is very much going as it should and dominance is well within parameters and on the mild side.

Please leave them to their own devices for the next few days and handle them again when they have gelled and look much more relaxed and happy together once they are out of the roughest of the dominance phase; you will know when. You are not losing out in the long term.

I would be guided by them. If you’re to take them out I’d suggest getting them all out rather than one at a time. They could be next to you on the sofa and you could then have them on your lap one at a time or all three if you can manage that. It will take two weeks for their hierarchy to be fully established 🙂
Brilliant, thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I have been sat with them for over an hour, and in that time they seem to have been more at peace with each other. The dominant one likes to sniff and get to know their faces, which didn't go well at first, but they all seem to be starting to accept each other 🤗

Aw well done you for rescuing these gorgeous girlies x
I would definitely keep them together so no one has a chance to be iffy when one goes back into the cage.
Here is a photo of my old newly bonded Ted to Ginger and Posh on the sofa together last summer. If handling all three at a time is a handful, collect all piggies into a large storage box and carry them over to the sofa, that way they keep together and you won’t be back and forth trying to catch piggies 😉
View attachment 171379
Aw they are gorgeous 😍 thank you so much. I think I'll give them a few more days to bond further before attempting to juggle the trio together for cuddle time 🤣 thank you for your help, just happy that it's looking positive that Bear will have forever friends, as apparently the reason for giving her up was that she was aggressive with their babies 🙈

Make sure there is hay for them to be munching on while on the sofa.

Hi!

The dominance behaviour is perfectly normal. A bonding isn't lasting just a few hours but in effect two weeks until the group is fully established. The first 2-3 days are usually toughest; it depends on how confident the leader is. Dominance behaviour should gradually settle down after that.

Make sure that you have only got hides with two exits in the cage during the post-bonding dominance phase but it sounds like everything is very much going as it should and dominance is well within parameters and on the mild side.

Please leave them to their own devices for the next few days and handle them again when they have gelled and look much more relaxed and happy together once they are out of the roughest of the dominance phase; you will know when. You are not losing out in the long term.
Thank you, that's really helpful. Yes I made sure I only put hides like tunnels in initially. When they go into their forever home in the next few days I will add a hammock and soft open bed. Even though the girls loved the bed they were chilling out in together in the picture I attached, I have washed and set aside to put back in once they are all completely settled with each other.

The hierarchy is fascinating to watch.
So far Bear is the overbearing dominant one, Poppy my one eyed girl is at the bottom, and Skye in the middle, but not dominant either.
Bear is much more accepting of Poppy, presumably because she isn't a threat, but seems to be giving Skye a harder time. I have seen improvement though, and Skye is doing everything right, letting Bear know she isn't a threat!
Thanks again 😁

Make sure there is hay for them to be munching on while on the sofa.
Will do, we usually have a selection of veggies, to make there bonding experience with us more enjoyable to them. After all, the way to their heart is food right 🤣

Thank you, that's really helpful. Yes I made sure I only put hides like tunnels in initially. When they go into their forever home in the next few days I will add a hammock and soft open bed. Even though the girls loved the bed they were chilling out in together in the picture I attached, I have washed and set aside to put back in once they are all completely settled with each other.

The hierarchy is fascinating to watch.
So far Bear is the overbearing dominant one, Poppy my one eyed girl is at the bottom, and Skye in the middle, but not dominant either.
Bear is much more accepting of Poppy, presumably because she isn't a threat, but seems to be giving Skye a harder time. I have seen improvement though, and Skye is doing everything right, letting Bear know she isn't a threat!
Thanks again 😁

The worst of the dominance is always against the piggy on the next lower rung. Your little trio is ready to move into their forever home anytime. They have established the basics of their group, i.e. a working hierarchy and have already moved into reinforcing it, which is the post-bonding dominance phase.

If you haven't yet, please take the time to read these guides here:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Will do, we usually have a selection of veggies, to make there bonding experience with us more enjoyable to them. After all, the way to their heart is food right 🤣

Have you ever tried our piggy whispering tips? They are very effective in telling your girls that you welcome them into the herd you are leading and that they are loved in their very own language and social concepts. It takes you out of the predator category instantly and puts you into a kind of 'super-piggy' one.
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Back