• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once they have settled into their environment I would start slowly introducing the handling.

I started off by talking to them and allowing them to sniff my hand in the cage. Then slowly build that up to letting them take food from your hand.

I've got to the stage with them now where they will come to the bars for food from me and allow me to pet them. It will take time and patience for them to trust you enough to pick them up. However most piggies don't enjoy the picking up process! I find picking them up using a snuggle hidey works best. It can make them feel more secure and can make you feel less likely to drop them if they start wriggling. :)

Some people say to let them settle in before touching or picking them up, However I find it is good to talk to them loads and hand them treats often so they get used to you. See how they respond, I pick mine up from the start and talk to them gently, only for a short time to begin with so they can get used to you. If a piggy seems extra shy though , take it slower and stroke them while in their run. The more you handle them, the better they get used to you, but talking to your piggies is the most important. This is what I think :):)

Once they have settled into their environment I would start slowly introducing the handling.

I started off by talking to them and allowing them to sniff my hand in the cage. Then slowly build that up to letting them take food from your hand.

I've got to the stage with them now where they will come to the bars for food from me and allow me to pet them. It will take time and patience for them to trust you enough to pick them up. However most piggies don't enjoy the picking up process! I find picking them up using a snuggle hidey works best. It can make them feel more secure and can make you feel less likely to drop them if they start wriggling. :)

Thanks, they seem very happy already which is great and take food from me at the front of there cage I think I will try from the inside of their cage now thanks for the advice :)

Some people say to let them settle in before touching or picking them up, However I find it is good to talk to them loads and hand them treats often so they get used to you. See how they respond, I pick mine up from the start and talk to them gently, only for a short time to begin with so they can get used to you. If a piggy seems extra shy though , take it slower and stroke them while in their run. The more you handle them, the better they get used to you, but talking to your piggies is the most important. This is what I think :):)

Sound good to me! I can't wait for them to be comfortable with all their surroundings and stuff! I will deffo talk to them all the time :) thanks for the advice!

this is good to hear:) You will be getting piggy cuddles real soon, such a reward :::):):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back