• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazz1n

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi all,

I got my two girly piggies (still no name) on Tuesday. The lady told me she handled them and they did seem ok when she picked them up. Since arriving home they've been settling in, eating hay, little bits of veg and mostly hiding in their house or tunnel. I picked them both up today as couldn't resist having cuddles....I hope I wasn't wring to do this?! They weren't keen on being picked up and them seemed a little nervous as I held them on my lap. I did this with them individually and just for a few minutes before putting them back. I then gave them some veg but they didn't eat it!
Is it ok to be giving them cuddles at this time? They both seem a bit nervous still and hide when I walk in the room, but I was hoping cuddles may help them know I'm not going to hurt them.
I have been offering them food but as of yet they haven't taken it from my hand.

hi all,

I got my two girly piggies (still no name) on Tuesday. The lady told me she handled them and they did seem ok when she picked them up. Since arriving home they've been settling in, eating hay, little bits of veg and mostly hiding in their house or tunnel. I picked them both up today as couldn't resist having cuddles....I hope I wasn't wring to do this?! They weren't keen on being picked up and them seemed a little nervous as I held them on my lap. I did this with them individually and just for a few minutes before putting them back. I then gave them some veg but they didn't eat it!
Is it ok to be giving them cuddles at this time? They both seem a bit nervous still and hide when I walk in the room, but I was hoping cuddles may help them know I'm not going to hurt them.
I have been offering them food but as of yet they haven't taken it from my hand.
Hello and welcome :)

I would take things slowly, you did nothing wrong handling them :) Piggies do sometimes take a while to trust. Just take your time, keep offering veg to them and i would say once they take food from you , try a nose rub :)

I would suggest picking up less often in the beginning if they are nervous. I would handle about every 3-4 days when i do a cage clean and then just 5 min cuddles at most.
It all takes time and sounds like your doing everything right - its a slow process but well worth it. Some piggies come round quickly, some take weeks, months, even years before they "like" being touched/ picked up. Although your confidence will grow so that will help you approach them in a way they and you feel less nervous. You can always try picking them up in tunnels or snuggle sack beds- sometimes piggies feel more secure this way.

Food offering is the same- this can be a slow process, sit by the cage and talk to them. Read a book aloud or chat away- let them get used to your voice. They will soon come round and start taking food from you :)

You are doing really well. It does take a while but Jennifer Anne Harris gives the best info so all I can say is good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back