Handwashing GuineaDad Fleece Liners

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I hand wash my liners because my mom does not want me using her new washer/dryer. I hand wash the liner in a bucket of water with a cup of laundry detergent. I pour the leftover water into tanbark outside of my house. Right after I did that, many black beetles have been near my house... do you think this is the cause? I think I have made a big mistake! For those who hand wash fleece, where do you dump your laundry detergent water?

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I hand wash my liners because my mom does not want me using her new washer/dryer. I hand wash the liner in a bucket of water with a cup of laundry detergent. I pour the leftover water into tanbark outside of my house. Right after I did that, many black beetles have been near my house... do you think this is the cause? I think I have made a big mistake! For those who hand wash fleece, where do you dump your laundry detergent water?

THANK YOU SO MUCH.
Oh also there are cockroaches... many of them.. Though we left our trash in the garage and we also had many cardboard boxes... Any advice? I'm FREAKING OUT.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
The beetles will probably go when it dries out.
Could you not just put the water down the sink with a strainer in the plug hole to catch any hay or hair?

I know Guineadad liners have to be treated differently, but the problem with hand washing is that it doesn’t wash them properly. Perhaps try adding some white vinegar to the water to kill bacteria

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The beetles will probably go when it dries out.
Could you not just put the water down the sink with a strainer in the plug hole to catch any hay or hair?

I know Guineadad liners have to be treated differently, but the problem with hand washing is that it doesn’t wash them properly. Perhaps try adding some white vinegar to the water to kill bacteria
I haven't added water to the tanbark since last sunday but they are still there ): . Not sure if it's something else then. They keep showing up in the house. I was just unsure if I could put laundry detergent into the sink! But yes I will do that from now on, if laundry detergent won't clog drains. Thank you for your advice! Yes it definitely isn't as clean :/ I do add quite a lot of vinegar so hopefully it is okay

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Would your mum let you use the washing machine if you put the liners in a horse wash bag?

As for the beetles and cockroaches I don’t think it’s the liner that’s attracting them. You’re sure they weren’t there before?

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Would your mum let you use the washing machine if you put the liners in a horse wash bag?

As for the beetles and cockroaches I don’t think it’s the liner that’s attracting them. You’re sure they weren’t there before?
Unfortunately no. Last time I used a horse wash bag and the zipper came undone and my piggy's hair was everywhere (my mistake for not shaking off well enough). Oh thank goodness! It was probably a coincidence because I saw the first black beetle in my house the day after pouring the water into tanbark. Thank you so much for your help; it is greatly appreciated!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Isn’t there a drain you can pour it down? Or down the bathroom plug hole?

mintpotatocc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Isn’t there a drain you can pour it down? Or down the bathroom plug hole?
I just wasn't sure if laundry detergent water clogs up the drains? But if it's okay (about 1 cup of detergent with a LOT of water) then I will start doing so! Thank you!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It shouldn’t do. Otherwise the drains from the washing machine would be clogged as well.