• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hard Lump On Chest Of Four Year Old Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was just feeding my girls and I have discovered a hard lump on one of their chests, around her ribcage. River will be five in August, and is otherwise healthy. She has an existing, squishy, mobile lump around her side/armpit , which she had checked and was deemed fine. I'm not sure how long she has had this new lump - I did a routine check of the mobile lump just last week, and although I didn't feel the hard lump then, I cannot say for sure that it wasn't there. It feels very hard, almost like bone. My Dad felt it and he reckons he can feel a very slightly movement in the lump, but I didn't feel this myself.

I only checked her out this evening because I thought she seemed less mobile in her front legs - I was checking for arthritis. It was only a very subtle change, though.

What might this be? (I'll be getting an appointment, but I like to know before I go in what I might be dealing with)

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sory to hear of your worries about River.
It could be any of "the lumps"
Until you get a cavy savvy vets diagnosis,you will not know for sure.

A needle aspirate is the first port of call....followed by an Xray/biopsy

HTH
x

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm sory to hear of your worries about River.
It could be any of "the lumps"
Until you get a cavy savvy vets diagnosis,you will not know for sure.

A needle aspirate is the first port of call....followed by an Xray/biopsy

HTH
x
Are tumours usually hard? I was reading on guinea lynx about the various lumps piggies can get, but they all seem to be softer lumps, like the fatty lump she has.

Do needle aspirations require sedation?

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update:
We were unable to determine what River's lump is. The vet attempted a FNA but they were unable to draw anything with the needle as the lump was too solid. She spoke to a senior vet who said that they wouldn't advise surgical removal of the lump for biopsy due to is placement, so for now we're to monitor the lump and take her back if it doubles in size.

What do people think? Does that sound like the right course of action?

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It could be a sebaceous cyst. One of my pigs had one on her face - it was pretty hard. She knocked it off herself eventually. it's an odd place for one though. Keep a close eye.

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How guinea pig savvy is your vet?
To be honest, I don't think she was all that savvy. My previous local vet, who was really good, has gone travelling :( I'm wondering whether I need to seek a second opinion from Simon or Kim.

It could be a sebaceous cyst. One of my pigs had one on her face - it was pretty hard. She knocked it off herself eventually. it's an odd place for one though. Keep a close eye.
Hmm, Elphie has one of these and I'm fairly certain it is not that. It is under the skin and feels like solid bone, although there is a very slightly mobility to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.