• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hard Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have notices on a few of my Piggy's that they have really hard skin on there paws it sort of stick out. It does not seem to bother them at all. But I was wondering what it is/called? and if any other guineas have it?

This sounds like growth spurs. These are flaps of tough skin. Is it on the front feet?

Ellie
TGPF Admin

Here is a picture of one.

spur.jpg

They look like a growth on the side of the paw. They are not dangerous in any way.

Here is some information about how to remove them...

Some guinea pigs develop flaps of tough skin that protrude from their front feet. These spurs can be carefully removed with a nail clipper to prevent accidental tearing. Avoid clipping too closely and causing bleeding.

Our paw model is Jacques by Michele

Ellie
TGPF Admin

thought i recognised the foot LOL. Jacques seems to have stopped growing for the moment but freddie is getting one. My vet said that i fthe foot is swollen or they are limping then to take back to the vets striaght away cos its has got infected and it is probably then bumblefoot. so if it isnt swollen you are fine.

Some of my guinea pigs have had spuirs grow on their front feet before. Has anybody else had the same problem with their piggies?

Ellie
TGPF Admin

Thanks they are very small not that big yet.Do not seem to bother piggy's at all it;s something I will have to keep an eye on tho

Yes, it doesn't bother the guinea pig at all. They don't hurt. When they are big enough you can usually get them off yourself. Take into account the advice piggywiggy gave you too. So yes, best thing to do is just keep an eye on them! :)

Ellie
TGPF Admin

It sounds like a spur - My piggies get them sometimes, especially Wiggy and I go to the vet and they remove them if needed and double check it is a spur etc. It is possible it is a foot infection or a start of a extra toe. Sounds mostly like a Spur though, it's nothing to worry about though ;)

Livie x

you can with experience tell a skin spur over another problem like bumble foot etc for a skin spur I just nibble with the nail clippers, not too close but enough to stop it catching on anything which might pull at it, I always check for these when clipping nails and generally tidy up time ie bath grooming and ivomectin

Has the spurs on the hand got any bigger? Once they are big enough you will be able to get them off!

Hi

My first guinea pig Ninny used to get these dry flaky spurs on the bottom of her feet. Nothing like 'bumblefoot' but sort of like hard skin flaps. I used to gently trim them a bit as they were rough enough to catch on things. I then used to rub in some E45 cream - a foot massage for piggies! I don't really think these skin flaps seem to cause the piggy any bother but probably just as well to keep them in check all the same. :)

Alex

Hi - it looks to me as if it could be a Hyperkeratotic foot pad. My dad is a vet and this is what he thinks it looks like. It can easily be clipped off, and, as it is dead, no blood vessels or nerves are present
Lottie xx

If you would like to know more just send me an email or repost in the forum - thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back