• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Harness and Leashes

Big Sky Piggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have seen Rabbits and ferrets on a leash and harness and my neighbour has rabbits and they LOVE their leashes, so i was wondering if Guinea pigs can wear them too? I assume they would feel stressed and frightened, but i am just checking in case they dont mind, and my piggies are missing out on lots of controlled free ranging in the house/garden!

I was thinking the same thing although I wouldn't have time to keep taking them out on the leash easier to pop them in a run and leave them for an hour.

I can't think of any good reason why a guinea pig should wear a harness. It would stress them out and hurt their spines. I was in Pampurred Pets about a year ago and I saw the harnesses they sold said ideal for rabbits and guinea pigs. I complained to a member of staff that guinea pigs should never wear a harness as it is bad for them. She said to me that they wouldn't say it was ideal for guinea pigs on the packaging if it was harmful for guinea pigs, I insisted that it was. When I was in Pampurred Pets the other day the packaging on the harness said it was ideal for rabbits and ferrets. No mention of guinea pigs at all! I wonder if my complaining helped towards this?

Thank you so much everyone, turns out it was just as i and thought then. Piggies better and happer as ever doing their popcorns on the run!

We have had people coming here having to pts their piggy because it broke its spine when trying to make a desperate dash for safety and was brought up sharply by a harness.

Harnesses and leashes are not suitable for any prey animals prone to spooking.

Back