• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Harrington's Optimum Guinea Pig Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I never really put much thought into guinea pig pellets when I was a kid because, well, I was kid... But now that I have pigs as an adult it's like there's a whole new guinea pig diet world out there! I started my pigs off on oxbow guinea pig pellets as that's what they were being fed at their previous home and once that bag was done, I made the mistake of getting one of those food plus treats added pellets and though the pigs went crazy for it, they only ate the "treats" which I'm sure isn't giving them what they need from a pellet. Anyways, I picked up a new brand of pellets from Walmart of all places called Harrington's and they go bonkers for it! As far as I can tell it doesn't contain a ridiculous amount of calcium and it has the added vitamin C. There isn't any waste of the food anymore and they seem content with it. They get their timothy hay daily as well as fresh veggies in the evening and sometimes as a treat I will give them a little bit of alfalfa cubes. Has anyone used this brand Harrington's before? Apparently it's British and I figure if Walmart is going to buy imported guinea pig food for Canada it could be because it's a good product? Any reviews would be appreciated!

Harrington's is - like most pellet brands - based on alfalfa, so please do not feed any alfalfa treats additionally!

I have been and still am feeding it (mixing up my brands so my piggies don't go off one and I won't be caught out by a certain brand not being in stock again), but not to any guinea pigs with bladder issues and not in unlimited quantity. It is not top of the market quality here, but then that is reflected by the comparatively cheaper price. ;)

I didn't think it had any alfalfa in it! Darn! That was one of the main reasons that I chose it :( How do they normally list alfalfa in the ingredients?

Sorry, no it is not alfalfa based. I got it mixed up with another common brand. We are working on pellet guides for the UK, US and Australia, but it is a matter of finding the extra time at the moment.

Sorry, no it is not alfalfa based. I got it mixed up with another common brand. We are working on pellet guides for the UK, US and Australia, but it is a matter of finding the extra time at the moment.
That's alright!

Wiebke Do you know about burgess xl pellets with oregano do they have too much calcium in them. I'm trying to make sure it's as balanced as I can get it x

We feed harringtons as it is convinent to buy from asda and it's cheaper than other brands. I don't worry too much about which pellets we feed as they are only a small part of their diet. The girls all love the harringtons.

We feed harringtons as it is convinent to buy from asda and it's cheaper than other brands. I don't worry too much about which pellets we feed as they are only a small part of their diet. The girls all love the harringtons.
Do you supply unlimited hay daily? I have heard mixed reviews as to whether this is right or not. I was told that most guinea pigs will not overeat but I'm not sure how correct that is! I know my rabbit is always supposed to have hay available but is it the same for guinea pigs?

Do you supply unlimited hay daily? I have heard mixed reviews as to whether this is right or not. I was told that most guinea pigs will not overeat but I'm not sure how correct that is! I know my rabbit is always supposed to have hay available but is it the same for guinea pigs?
Hi there. It is essential for guinea pigs to have constant access to hay, just like rabbits. They can never over eat hay so do not worry. My pigs eat more hay then my bunny.

Hi there. It is essential for guinea pigs to have constant access to hay, just like rabbits. They can never over eat hay so do not worry. My pigs eat more hay then my bunny.
Awesome! That's what I thought because they won't eat all of it if I give them too much. Good stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back