• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

has anyone got any details about non anesthetic dentals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
now Patch needs regualr dentals done to keep him alive has anyone got any details I can copy or print out to show my vet he seemed very nice and maybe would consider non anesthetic ops for Patch if I had some details to show him,

Can't they remove the teeth that are giving him trouble. I know at my vets they have removed a rabbits teeth.

michellemuffin said:
now Patch needs regualr dentals done to keep him alive has anyone got any details I can copy or print out to show my vet he seemed very nice and maybe would consider non anesthetic ops for Patch if I had some details to show him,

If you ring the CCT they should be able to advise you where your nearest rodentologist is, they can trim without anaesthesia.
Oops, have just read in your other post that you live on an island and so no nearby rodentologist :(

Barbara

Mary said:
Can't they remove the teeth that are giving him trouble. I know at my vets they have removed a rabbits teeth.

I did ask this but he said they would still grow back and we had the added problems of infection in the socket etc, he is actually eating his dried food now and so far he has had broccoli grapes and apple do you think i'm spoiling him lol

You could try contacting BAR and explaining your sitation... I bet they would send you the info you need

Animals tend to get on really well after an op. My dog was castrated and had 8 teeth removed at the same time and within 48 hrs he was back to normal.

Mary

Hi Michelle,

Glad to hear Patch has come through his op OK and is eating again.

If your vet wants to do conscious teeth clipping, the he will need is a pair of buccal pad separators which you can only get from Vedra at the CCT. Without these, he won't be able to keep Patch's mouth open properly. Then he needs to be able to wrap the pig, have suitable bone roungers and rasps for trimming / filing, and some training to make sure that he knows exactly what to do. So many vets don't really know what "normal" guinea pig teeth look like as they are all different, just like humans. One of the biggest mistakes made is that lower incisors are trimmed "because they are too long", when in fact they are designed to be longer than the top ones!

Training takes about 1-1.5 hours and the BAR notes are comprehensive. I showed one of my own vets how to do this, and she now does guinea pig dentals as part of the normal consulation - no anaesthetics or fuss, so much safter for the pig and cheaper for the humans! The nearst BAR people that do teeth are myself and Chris & Titch in Hastings.

Hope this helps, Chrissie & 11 Gorgeous Guineas

Barmy4boars said:
You could try contacting BAR and explaining your sitation... I bet they would send you the info you need

thanks will do that next week, have you got the phone number please, patch is now back in with his 2 other cage mates jinx and galaxy and was welcomed by a cleaning session , as if to say you smell of humans yuk, :)

ok just found the number, will sort out something next week and get my vet or one of them at the hospital to maybe go on the course if I can thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back