• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Has Anyone Made Their Own Fleece Items?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jillyemm

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have been having a look round but haven't found anything about this (but sorry if I've missed it)

I'm looking to get a c&c cage soon and I'm also interested in some of the lovely things I've seen in use in these but I quite like sewing and crafts and thought it would be nice to have a go at making my own.

I definitely want to make a hay bag and then maybe a pigloo/tunnel or similar. Possibly even liners if I can work out what materials to get for absorbency.

Anyone done this? Any tips or pointers?

Tia :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have made some tummels and cosies for my piggies and found this (German) site with step-by-step pictures helpful. I still use some of my several years old cosies, by the way!
What I would recommend is to be generous with the padding layers. Start simple and then work up from there learning from your mistakes and experiences and leave the big bits until you feel you know what you are doing and know how well your cosies are holding up with washing, even at higher temperatures.

I would also recommend to make sure that you get good microfleece that stays driest. Some people sew a plastic layer in the middle of their pads so they don't wet through and can be turned over and can be used from both sides.
http://www.spikeskleinewelt.de/Kuschelecke.html

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's definitely a thread somewhere on here with how to make a hay bag tutorial. Let me know if you can't turn it up and I will try and dig it out.

I haven't made any fleecy items myself but have been sorely tempted. I bought a huge lovely blue fleece with stars on it from Primark that I keep meaning to get some wadding for them sweet talk my mum into turning it into a liner for our c&c set up.

Jillyemm

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks all, that site looks good and I can certainly have a go at making that hay bag as a starter project :)

Rex&GizmoMama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I made piggy dig things:
WP_20150206_003.jpg WP_20150206_014.jpg

They're sort of like 2 sacks inserted in one another.
Both made with a flat rectangle bottom, a bigger rectangle on top to make a tunnel shape, and a semi circle at the back.
I have put a strip of boning in the front to hold them open, but the boys didn't seem to mind the first floppy one I did without the boning. They headbutt and move them around to how they like it anyway.

Jillyemm

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks, good reminder about the washing Piggyowner!

Rex&GizmoMama, thanks for that, the biggest question in my head was about they keep 'up' so that's interesting, thanks.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some use thick foam strip to keep the opening open as an alternative to boning.

I'd recommend pre wash at 60 even if you don't intend to regularly wash at that temperature - if you have a fungal outbreak in the future you will need to wash at 60 or higher to kill the spores.

Status
Not open for further replies.