• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Has anyone tried BedXcel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guineapigpal

This is a corrogated cardboard bedding, pieces are about a cm. square.... on sale at around £6.50 or less... :-\ I've just been given some by a friend who is also experimenting her piggers on it too! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.... will let you know how it goes. I'm wondering if it might be a bit hard on their feet, but I could see that the wee's and poo's will probably just slip throught the layers onto the thick layer of newspaper. I currently use confetti shedded paper (and strip sheds with hay for warmth and burrowing pleasures)... But I'm constanly shredding every day to keep up with demand of change of bedding every third day... :D I've also considered a hemp style bedding or maybe a combination of the two to make it a softer bed for my lovelies! Any thoughts?.....

Carol :)

I have never used Bed Excel but I know a lot of people do now. All the piggies at Cheryls rescue are on it so she is the best to comment!

I use hemp bedding and I love it.

I've put my tester of BedXcel into one cage first thing this am... Piggies seem very happy so far.. will see how it goes performance wise, I've put a good 2 inch layer down! Certainly dust free, and could see that it would be great for boars.... nothing too small to stick in places where you don't want thing to stick ::) Probably be great for my longhaired piggies too... less chance of hair getting choked up.... like it easy does, with confetti shredded paper! I'm liking the look of the hemp bedding too Kate, so I think tomorrow it'll be a trip down to Dingwall to get a bag to try.... along with some more BedXcel :) going to give it a good trial!

I have seen it advertised but was told for the amount of cavies/rabbits I have, it would mean getting enough to fill my only spare room with it. So I never bothered, so let me know how it goes as I could then recommend it to my rescue customers.

I used it for the tray in my chinchillas cage and it was great for that. i did use it for the rabbits but found it messy, as the wee does'nt soak in as well and i thought the cage smelled more. Never used it for the piggies. It comes in really big bags so you need lots of space for storage! Also it is very hard to get hold of up north and as I remember, you have to buy about 20 bales of the stuff at a time. I was lucky as a friend who had rats ordered it and sold me a bale when I needed it. By the way, I use carefresh for my piggy and it is a bit costly, but cage does'nt smell, and it does'nt get stuck in his long hair and i also think it is more cosy than cardboard.

I use it all the time and like it, the piggies do too. It is absorbant too. I also use it for my ponies, luckily I have space to store it though as it does come on a big bag!

I found a stockist that sells single bales... (in Dingwall) but if you check the website for Hill Meadow Ltd., you can access a map and click on your area to find your local stockist, My friend says she paid £6.30ish for the bag she bought from there.... she managed to get down to Dingwall before me! ;D She was just as keen to try a new bedding as me :) The bale seems to be about 15 - 20 kilos in size.... I'm not sure if the contents are compressed much.... but I think it might last a whiley! Well, hopefully! 88)

Hmmm, might give it a blast... I use medibed but it's messy and want to make cleaning out as easy as poss for me and piggies, especially now winter is creeping back in :o

Well the BedXcel is certainly very absorbant, warm, dust free, cheap and piggie poops just seem to wiggle down the layers as the piggies walk/run/popcorn etc., over the bedding.... I give it a 10 out of 10 compared to the confetti shedded paper I used before, piggies seem happy and comfortable....and that's the main thing really!

I did buy a bag of Hemcore to try..... Mmmnnn not impressed, got a couple of splinters in my hand just by getting some out of the bag >:(, I did use it as a very thin base layer under the BedXcel in two pens... but I don't think I'll be using it as a full bedding for the piggies, maybe my youngest daughters rabbit can have it under her hay bedding, as an extra absorbant layer on top of the newspaper! :-\ Won't buy any more of it though! Must look and see if there is a softer alternative! Just noticed in the hemcore thread... will look for Aubiose then, Kate... :)

One of the shows I go to uses a product similar to this in the show pens. It stays surprisingly dry and is warm and comfortable to the pigs. I can't find anywhere to buy it though.

I use Ecobed which I think is the same as bedxcel? I have found it the best by far, really absorbant and the pigs do great on it. I am using megazorb at the moment but only because I havent had time to drive over to Marsham to pick up some more bales of Ecobed. A bale only costs me £4.23 so it works out loads cheaper too :)

Cheryl

sgprescue said:
I use Ecobed which I think is the same as bedxcel? I have found it the best by far, really absorbant and the pigs do great on it. I am using megazorb at the moment but only because I havent had time to drive over to Marsham to pick up some more bales of Ecobed. A bale only costs me £4.23 so it works out loads cheaper too :)

Cheryl

Cheryl/and all,
Are these products generally for horse bedding?
Are farm suppliers likely to sell them?
Barbara

cavykind said:
sgprescue said:

Cheryl

Cheryl/and all,
Are these products generally for horse bedding?
Are farm suppliers likely to sell them?
Barbara

Yes I think so. Have a look at www.ecobed.co.uk

You could give them a ring and ask if there is anyone in your area that stocks it. If they sell to private individuals they normally ask you to buy a minimum of 20 bales to get it delivered but you may be able to find someone that sells it locally. I am lucky in that I live about 20 mins drive from where the manufacturers store it so I can go and pick up a few bales at a time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back