• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Has Hettie Got An Ovarian Cyst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

*kate*

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have always been aware when Hettie is hormonal as she purrs around popcorning which usually lasts for around a day.

However, she has been purring and attempting to mount Tilly for around 5 days now and, after searching on the internet, am worried she may have a cyst.

There are no other signs, she has no fur loss or crusty nipples and her appetite is unaffected, she just seems terribly hormonal.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
We have always been aware when Hettie is hormonal as she purrs around popcorning which usually lasts for around a day.

However, she has been purring and attempting to mount Tilly for around 5 days now and, after searching on the internet, am worried she may have a cyst.

There are no other signs, she has no fur loss or crusty nipples and her appetite is unaffected, she just seems terribly hormonal.

Any advice would be appreciated.
If in doubt and if you are really worried, please have her checked by a vet. We have got a recommended vets locator on the top bar.

However, I would recommend to wait and see whether her behaviour is really upsetting the relationship and is causing a constant strain. The majority of sows that have ovarian cysts don't have any trouble with them and by far not all cysts come with obvious symptoms.

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree with Wiebke - wait and see. This longer period of dominant behaviour could be about a hierarchy issue rather than hormones. You don't say how old your girls are, but have you considered adding a neutered boar to the mix? Having a man about the place to order about often calms things down (it has certainly worked in my groups of sows). Again, if you have any worries about cysts, a vet visit will sort things out one way or the other.

*kate*

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hettie is around 2 years old and Tilly around 4 years old.

Hettie's behaviour doesn't concern Tilly, she gives her a good old nudge if she annoys her but nothing more.

I will keep an eye on things over the next few days and go to the vets if things get any worse.

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This sort of behaviour does not amount to an ovarian cyst, it's just dominance between ladies. If you are concerned about her then get her checked over, however they are more likely to get them at an older age. The hair loss and crust nipples are really a very vague sign and often don't present. Both of my sows who have had ovarian cysts in the last 6 months have not had these signs.

A good vet should be able to feel if there are any large cysts. So a quick once over by one would be good if your concerned and want your mind put at ease.

x

*kate*

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They have been together for a year and there has never been any dominance issues.

I'm taking her to the vets tomorrow evening.

Adelle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I understand why u are thinking cysts- my sows main problem was hormonal aggresion that would calm down for a week or so then start again.. But each time inbetween was getting shorter and shorter until she had to be completely seperated until treatment started. She had no hairloss or crusty nipples and her appetite only decreased a few months in. She has had her first injection of gonadotrophin releasing hormone, 1 week in and not so much as 1 grumble. I'm so releived. It wont do any harm to have her checked, sometimes the problems seem more pronouced because u are worried and dont know the cause. Peace of mind certainy does no harm x

Status
Not open for further replies.