• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Has Your Guinea Pig Ever Fallen Off Ramp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
20150128_083101.jpg Hi all, the lovely Maisy, new piggy 5 1/2 months old, bounded up ramp, missed her aim and landed in gap between ramp and mesh. Luckily only half way up, and luckily no trapped leg in wire so she just stuck for a moment them slowly slid down to ground. Do you think she will be less exuberant in future? Or should I replace back mesh with plastic panels, or get an extended piece of correx to tie over panels at back of ramp? I originally toyed with idea of fixing size of ramp to back of cage but decided the weight of piggies in ramp may put strain on cage structure? Any advice please? Here is pic of gap.

Could you use bulldog clips or something similar to clip the fleece to the grids? The fleece will stretch so it shouldn't affect the cage structure.

Could you use bulldog clips or something similar to clip the fleece to the grids? The fleece will stretch so it shouldn't affect the cage structure.
Hmm.. Thanks, That's a thought, though the fleece on the sides is not attached to ramp, more like a little sleeve slipped over ........ (thinking..)!

Not fallen off but ours regularly climb over the side and jump down via snuggle cubes. The also do it deliberately when they know we are watching.

Not fallen off but ours regularly climb over the side and jump down via snuggle cubes. The also do it deliberately when they know we are watching.
Ours sometimes pop on and off the edge near the bottom, but that's deliberate. This was a complete misjudgement!

Poor little piggy. I hope she is ok.
I do not trust ramps full stop to be honest. My girls haven't fallen off it that I'm aware, but their tunnel fell down a ramp with poor Lily in it!

Our ramp is made from C&C grids bent up to form a 3 inch high side. The little buggers put their front paws on the side, have a good wheek so they know you are watching and then jump over the side onto the top of the snuggles. We have put one snuggle on top of a log tunnel and they jump up into it. They appear to enjoy the leaping about.

Poor little piggy. I hope she is ok.
I do not trust ramps full stop to be honest. My girls haven't fallen off it that I'm aware, but their tunnel fell down a ramp with poor Lily in it!
Yes she's fine luckily. Our ramp is made from a square bottom gutter so there are small walls in it, but obviously too small for an exuberant piggy! Your Lily must have thought it was a new Olympic sport !

Mine have never fallen but Ludwig (avatar) as a youngster had a game of run up the ramp and jump off of the top straight onto the floor of the cage. He ended up hurting himself with one jump and was never a fan of being touched on his back again. Silly boy.

The ramp was immediately removed and I haven't let my guinea pigs have a ramp since. That was 5 years ago.
Sadly I don't have any advice, I just thought I should let you know sometimes guinea pigs think its a fun game and hurt themselves. ^^;

Mine have never fallen but Ludwig (avatar) as a youngster had a game of run up the ramp and jump off of the top straight onto the floor of the cage. He ended up hurting himself with one jump and was never a fan of being touched on his back again. Silly boy.

The ramp was immediately removed and I haven't let my guinea pigs have a ramp since. That was 5 years ago.
Sadly I don't have any advice, I just thought I should let you know sometimes guinea pigs think its a fun game and hurt themselves. ^^;
Oh poor piggy, they're just like little kids aren't they? Ours do seem to wait till they get near the bottom to jump off, but have decided to replace the wire panels next to the ramp with plastic panels so that there is no risk of getting a leg stuck / broken in wire. They seem to love trotting up and down it, some people don't even have sides in their ramps I believe.

Oh poor piggy, they're just like little kids aren't they? Ours do seem to wait till they get near the bottom to jump off, but have decided to replace the wire panels next to the ramp with plastic panels so that there is no risk of getting a leg stuck / broken in wire. They seem to love trotting up and down it, some people don't even have sides in their ramps I believe.
OH they are very much like kids. They love to get into all the wrong things too. :))

Thats good =)

I never used a ramp when I had a shelve part they could go to. I simply put a small stall down then another slighty bigger and so on they use to get up that way lots of room on the top of stall plus they had somewhere else to hide under and i never had any accidents that I'm a wear of.

Cool I like your setup, when I have more room in my house I'm going to do this.

I LOVE C&C set ups . The only thing that holds you back with a C&C is your imagination ( OH - and maybe DIY skills !)

[QUOTim="PiggyOwner, post: 1683800, member: 114675"]I LOVE C&C set ups . The only thing that holds you back with a C&C is your imagination ( OH - and maybe DIY skills !)[/QUOTE]
Well I'm doomed lol I not got imagination or DIY lol lol lol

[QUOTim="PiggyOwner, post: 1683800, member: 114675"]I LOVE C&C set ups . The only thing that holds you back with a C&C is your imagination ( OH - and maybe DIY skills !)
Well I'm doomed lol I not got imagination or DIY lol lol lol[/QUOTE]

Me neither - I keep pestering my OH for their home improvements !

Well I'm doomed lol I not got imagination or DIY lol lol lol

Me neither - I keep pestering my OH for their home improvements ![/QUOTE]

Actually, you can manage without the imagination, you just look at the pictures of other people's cages! As for diy skills, ditto as above and pick the easiest option! Actually if you build something really simple, you may find you then get ideas for just adding a bit here and there. It's great stuff, just had my first pack, and it honestly is easy, and so much more space for piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back