• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Have I Made A Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bliss

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm really concerned that I may have made a mistake buying only one guinea pig and I don't know what to do. The trouble is, I just haven't got the room for a cage big enough for 2 guinea pigs. Are there others on here who have only been able to house 1 guinea pig and can sympathize or have I been a bit selfish? :(
It does annoys me because if it's really that awful to only have 1 guinea pig, why sell cages big enough for only one and label them as guinea pig cages? I've had 3 others in the past, all who lived alone and were quite happy but I'm just feeling very guilty about this one. I've had Louie for just over a week now and he seems happy enough. Eating lots and drinking fine. When I got him he had an URI so I have had to handle him straight away and syringe feed him antibiotics (which he loves!) so he's getting lots of interaction. I've also brought two play pens which I have put together for time out of his cage. So I'm trying to do my best by my little piggy...I just hope I haven't made a mistake.

I'm really concerned that I may have made a mistake buying only one guinea pig and I don't know what to do. The trouble is, I just haven't got the room for a cage big enough for 2 guinea pigs. Are there others on here who have only been able to house 1 guinea pig and can sympathize or have I been a bit selfish? :(
It does annoys me because if it's really that awful to only have 1 guinea pig, why sell cages big enough for only one and label them as guinea pig cages? I've had 3 others in the past, all who lived alone and were quite happy but I'm just feeling very guilty about this one. I've had Louie for just over a week now and he seems happy enough. Eating lots and drinking fine. When I got him he had an URI so I have had to handle him straight away and syringe feed him antibiotics (which he loves!) so he's getting lots of interaction. I've also brought two play pens which I have put together for time out of his cage. So I'm trying to do my best by my little piggy...I just hope I haven't made a mistake.

How big is your cage?

A 120cm is big enough for two piggies and only 20cm longer than a 100cm cage which some stores say is okay for 2 (which it isn't) 20cm makes the world of difference.

A 3x2 grid (105x75 cm) cage is about the same ground space as a 120x60. Would that fit into your space?

it's a 28inch x 17inch cage from Pets At Home (yeah I've heard bad things about them) this is the same size that my last one was in and he was a very happy guinea pig.

Last edited:
I'd love to get a bigger cage....i'd give them a room if I could, but as I said I don't have much space, which is why I've brought 2 wire pens to put together and give a lot of running around time.

Hello there and don't feel like a bad piggy owner! You are loving your new guy and taking care of him. Things have just moved along lately in guinea pig care, welfare-wise, feeding, veterinary advances etc. etc. It is always the ideal to keep guinea pigs in pairs or larger groups, but you can maybe take your time and get to know louie's character really well. Then, if your circumstances change and you find yourself with more space you could look at finding him a companion in the future. There are plenty of advice threads on the forum on finding companion piggies. There are also some amazing photos of other peoples' clever cage building skills on the housing gallery:). Big hugs for Louie, hope his uri has cleared up. x

Hi Bliss, here is an example of building c&c pens upwards! From an American owner in a small apartment. He keeps several guinea pigs in this arrangement. Appreciate much, much bigger than you would need, but a two tier smaller version might work for your limited space, with a ramp between. Only an idea:tu:.image.jpg

You are a really caring owner. Personally, I think guinea pigs need some companionship of their own. If you got oyu guinea pig a companion, would you be able to give them daily floor time ?

Yes, I agree too that piggies need companions, Louie will be better with another guinea pig as a friend, but you will need the accommodation sorted out first and that might take you a bit of time and imagination;).

Hi, thank you everyone for your replies. I love the C&C cages they are amazing. Problem I have with them though is that his cage is currently on top of a unit already which is used for storage. So I can't really build up from it or he'll be above my head! I live with my partner and we are actually thinking of moving because our studio flat is far too small for us. Hoping this is sooner rather than later so I hope I can get a bigger cage then when he's a bit bigger.

He is getting daily floor time and I'm slowly increasing it as he gets more happy and confident at being out of his home. I tried the trick of pretending to wash like a guinea pig today while he was out on the floor with me and he responded by washing too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back