• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Having Our Daily Chit Chat And Took The Best Photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my two six month old sows (white nails mostly but a few orange ones) I just take off the very tips about once a fortnight (well, twice in a month, not sure if I will need to in two more weeks. Will see how sharp they feel).

I have heard people with rabbits say that if they shine a torch onto black nails they can see the quick. Not sure if it is the same with piggies but can't see why not.

The idea of cutting them even just a teeny bit is to encourage the quick to stay back (not sure how to explain that one). Sugar and Spice piggies on youtube do a good nail cutting tutorial as does piggiepigpigs (great user name).

That really is a cuuuute photo.

With my two six month old sows (white nails mostly but a few orange ones) I just take off the very tips about once a fortnight (well, twice in a month, not sure if I will need to in two more weeks. Will see how sharp they feel).

I have heard people with rabbits say that if they shine a torch onto black nails they can see the quick. Not sure if it is the same with piggies but can't see why not.

The idea of cutting them even just a teeny bit is to encourage the quick to stay back (not sure how to explain that one). Sugar and Spice piggies on youtube do a good nail cutting tutorial as does piggiepigpigs (great user name).

That really is a cuuuute photo.
I'm so not confident enough to do it myself and I don't think the pigs are either lol so I think a trip to vets/pets at home for my piggies

I'm a coward and now have a lovely lady come and do my 4 girls' nails :))

It's really not too hard but like I said, coward haha. It would probably be better to have someone come to you to reduce the stress? Up to you, I know my vets were charging £10 per pig and that would've meant £40 every 6 weeks or so lol.

I think a vet rip is a good idea if you dont feel confident. They will hopefully behave beautifully when the time comes.

Ten pounds per guinea pig is a fair bit but i guess with travel and time ...

It's really not too hard but like I said, coward haha. It would probably be better to have someone come to you to reduce the stress? Up to you, I know my vets were charging £10 per pig and that would've meant £40 every 6 weeks or so lol.
My vet charges £10 per pig as well, it's definitely worth trying, I never had the confidence but you do get better. I also invested in a styptic pen from my vet. It cost about £3.50 and if you do accidentally cut too short it stops the bleeding, I cut a rabbits claw too short and it just wouldn't stop so it's a handy backup although hopefully I won't do it again!

I need to find someone to come to mine lol I was going to ring the animal groomers in the area and see if they would do it Cos I know long nails can be painful for them!

Just get someone to hold your pig and it will be easy - I can do mine now with just me holding them - I had seven at one stage and it would have cost a fortune - my two ancient old ladies who are now 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 years old have rapidly growing nails now and need doing every 3 weeks.

Just get someone to hold your pig and it will be easy - I can do mine now with just me holding them - I had seven at one stage and it would have cost a fortune - my two ancient old ladies who are now 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 years old have rapidly growing nails now and need doing every 3 weeks.
I will give it a try and then if I can't do it go see a vet or a groomers. Maybe if I watch how someone does it once I'll get the jist so I can try myself! Xx

Gorgeous :)
Sometimes it's hard at first, especially when you have a piggy with dark nails and that piggy won't be still. I really struggle with some of mine still, and others are a breeze. It was my vet who showed me the first time :)

Noodle only has only one foot that's not black but MoMo has all white so I think she will be easier. She's also more used to being handled. I'll give it a go and if I just can't do it I think a trip to the vets for the first time is a better idea ☺️Xx

So cute! I love her little front feeties :drool: a vet will be able to show how to clip. Dark claws can be a little tricky as you cant see the quick as eay, shine a torch under them to see the blood flow and trim only little bit off at time. Invest in some clippers like these they really help

So cute! I love her little front feeties :drool: a vet will be able to show how to clip. Dark claws can be a little tricky as you cant see the quick as eay, shine a torch under them to see the blood flow and trim only little bit off at time. Invest in some clippers like these they really help
Thank you! If I can get close enough to the little bugger to check her feets

So I've registered Mo and Noodle in at the vets and it's going to be £16 for both piggies and a little hair cut for MoMo so I don't think that's badly priced at all Hopefully the vet can teach me a few tricks on how to do it xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back