• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi just wanted to know if any commercially bought hay is ok for guinea pigs as lots of the bags just have pictures of rabbits on them. Usually buy PAH hay which says suitable for piggies but have just got 3 bags of a different make n the hay seems rougher n worried incase it's not suitable. Thanks for your advice.

They are all usually fine, so long as it is hay and not straw. Some tend to be bitty, some longer strands, you will find out through trial and error which your guinea pigs prefer. Usually the more expensive speciality ones are just put in hay racks and loo rolls, rather than for bedding (which they still eat!) as it is more costly. x

All hay types are safe for piggys as thats their main part of their diet. Just alfalfa based one are more for pigs under 1 year old and sometimes given to pregnant piggys too, these conatin more calcium.

When buying hay you should try and look for the greenest bag and one that smells nice and fresh and not stale. Some hays are stalky than others and maybe thats what batch you picked up, this could be because its a second cut and these cuts can be more stalky. I used to feed p@h timothy hay but since finding out about oxbow i now feed this, i know its quite expensive but none gets wasted and the pigs love it. It VERY green and smells beautiful. Also p@h have started selling alfalfa king timothy hay which is £7.99 a bag i think, this is a huge hit with my boys and again its very good quality and smells lovely. (its not alfalfa based thats just the name)

You could try ordered the sample pack of hays from here and see if there is one in your price range that the pigs like.
http://www.animalmagicpetsupplies.c...ectPath=/Shops/BT3336/Products/Sample8packhay

I can also recommend the burns green oat hay this went down a treat with my two.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back