• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay advice

Mye_B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’ve recently come across a post on here about a member purchasing hay from Hay Box online. I’ve had a look and it all looks fab but quite pricey (I would like to try it though). The same person said that they didn’t like Pets at Home hay but had to buy some in an emergency. I genuinely didn’t realise the Pets at Home stuff wasn’t great as my boys eat it, however I obviously want to give them the best! I know each individual’s circumstances are different so would like an honest opinion on the Pets at Home hay, as whilst I would like to try out Hay Box I don’t know if I could afford this every month. Is Pets at Home hay really that bad? I had a rabbit for 7 years and she loved the hay from there (I occasionally gave her supermarket hay when I couldn’t get to Pets at Home as well). TIA.
M

Hello all,

I’ve recently come across a post on here about a member purchasing hay from Hay Box online. I’ve had a look and it all looks fab but quite pricey (I would like to try it though). The same person said that they didn’t like Pets at Home hay but had to buy some in an emergency. I genuinely didn’t realise the Pets at Home stuff wasn’t great as my boys eat it, however I obviously want to give them the best! I know each individual’s circumstances are different so would like an honest opinion on the Pets at Home hay, as whilst I would like to try out Hay Box I don’t know if I could afford this every month. Is Pets at Home hay really that bad? I had a rabbit for 7 years and she loved the hay from there (I occasionally gave her supermarket hay when I couldn’t get to Pets at Home as well). TIA.
M
I'd recommend www.timothyhay.co.uk
You can get a 9kg bag of Timothy from there for £22 and it's great quality. They also do some other types of hay.

If PAH hay works for you, it’s fresh, green, and your piggies enjoy it and eat plenty of it, then there is no need to change unless you want to. I don’t have personal expensive of PAH hay though so can’t comment on the quality.

I do use haybox and it is fantastic quality hay (and it’s actually the only hay my older, very fussy rabbit will eat!). It isn’t the cheapest hay and with two piggies and three rabbits, I go through loads of it each month so the cost does add up.

If PAH hay works for you, it’s fresh, green, and your piggies enjoy it and eat plenty of it, then there is no need to change unless you want to. I don’t have personal expensive of PAH hay though so can’t comment on the quality.

I do use haybox and it is fantastic quality hay (and it’s actually the only hay my older, very fussy rabbit will eat!). It isn’t the cheapest hay and with two piggies and three rabbits, I go through loads of it each month so the cost does add up.
Thanks for this. It is green and to me seems fresh but I have nothing else to compare it to.

I think I’ll try the Timothy Hay site as recommended above by Gem789 and also still give Hay Box a try. Want to get some of the toys from there too!

We found PAH hay to be hit and miss and after a bag was very damp I stopped buying it and switched to the burgees hay, but that only comes in really small packs, I was recommended hay box on here and I couldn’t believe the quality difference, and it is now the only hay our boys will eat. We buy the 5kg box, which I appreciate is expensive compared to others but it’s well worth it for us! Have you looked at natures own? You can buy it in the range or online, we had to get an emergency bag of that recently and found it to be better than PAH, it’s also very reasonably priced!

We found PAH hay to be hit and miss and after a bag was very damp I stopped buying it and switched to the burgees hay, but that only comes in really small packs, I was recommended hay box on here and I couldn’t believe the quality difference, and it is now the only hay our boys will eat. We buy the 5kg box, which I appreciate is expensive compared to others but it’s well worth it for us! Have you looked at natures own? You can buy it in the range or online, we had to get an emergency bag of that recently and found it to be better than PAH, it’s also very reasonably priced!
Thanks for this! Good to know wrt Nature’s Own. Hadn’t heard of it but will definitely look into it. Cheers!

Thanks for this! Good to know wrt Nature’s Own. Hadn’t heard of it but will definitely look into it. Cheers!

Nature's Own Sweet Green Hay is lovely and good value for money. If you spend £20 delivery is free.

I also buy meadow hay by the bale from an equestrian supplier. You can often buy good quality hay from farms (assuming you have a car). I only pay £5.50 a bale and it is beautiful soft green hay.

I use Nature's Own Sweet Green Hay and Timothy 5 a day hay. My pigs love it! Sometimes the hay can vary but it's a natural product so that's how it works 😊. Prices are good and I've not had a bad batch ever!

I would also recommend SmallPet Select. Super fast delivery from Amazon and my boys cannot get enough of the 2nd cut Timothy hay.

Nature's Own Sweet Green Hay is lovely and good value for money. If you spend £20 delivery is free.

I also buy meadow hay by the bale from an equestrian supplier. You can often buy good quality hay from farms (assuming you have a car). I only pay £5.50 a bale and it is beautiful soft green hay.
Thank you! ❤️

Thanks all, appreciate your replies! 😊

Back