• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I usually buy my hay from Wilkinsons & thought i'd be saving money with a bale but it's so different from the Wilkinsons hay that i don't know if it is alright. I didn't pick it myself, a friend was going to a farm shop & got it for me.

Is it supposed to have lots of thistles in it? Only found this out when i got stabbed >:( and is it supposed to be coarse like straw?

Niki

i get my hay from Wilson's pet store and i have never had any problems

but i find the one from wilkinsons is cut up to small as my guineas love to bury themselves in and make a mess :D

I've been buying hay from a local horse food supplier and I've not been impressed with the last bag. It's full of nasties and clumps and seems a bit damp too. Probably ok for horses but not for buns and pigs. But the bags before have been fine, I think they vary.

I've ordered some from the hay experts coming on Monday hopefully.

I get mine from Farmer Mick as we call him, some times depending on what the weather has been like there are more thistles and courser hay look out for the odd dead mouse as well, it does'nt bother me now as i have only really used meadow hay from the farm , where i live its mostly country so its easier anyway and I get it delivered

I find bale stuff is best nice and fresh I ask for greenest bale which is usually not that green and have a look before I buy

Hmm doesn't sound too good.You need to pick ALL the thisles out.My hay is sometimes soft and sometimes it isn't.But it is never coarse.I get mine from the shirley Pet Center.It is always good there so we never change. :o ?

if you buy hay by the bale, you will find it changes depending on the time of the year and where you buy it. Hay with a lot of thistles in it is no good for guinea pigs as the thistles can scratch or pierce the skin in their throats and lead to abscesses. Hard stems can also damage eyes. Bin stuff like this.

I buy from "The Hay Experts" and their economy "Devon Hay" is fantastic :)

The Hay Experts

I do buy by the bale from a farm store, but try and be selective, though you don't really know what it is like until you get it home ::)

Barbara

Thanks v.much for all you comments, i didn't think it was right & spent time picking out all the bits that i wouldn't eat ;D
It's destined for a bonfire!

I agree with
shez said:
i get my hay from Wilson's pet store and i have never had any problems

but i find the one from wilkinsons is cut up to small as my guineas love to bury themselves in and make a mess :D

I agree with you about Wilkinsons hay Shez, i'm going thru' a bale a week & half of that ends up in a pile on the floor of their hutches ;D ;D

I'll take a look at The Hay Experts, thank you all again :)

i get my bales from our pet shop she orders them in , there a bit dearer than a farm , but wow its fantastic stuff n smells so sweet ;)

I didn't get any Wilko hay (it was too short cut) i went to a pet shop & the hay is lovely; green, soft, long & sweet smelling.
The bale has a burnt smell about it eugh!
Learnt my lesson there & to quote the immortal line from Blanche off Corrie "Buy cheap, Buy twice" Nuff said LOL

Niki :)

I go through about 3 farm bales a week, its stored in a huge barn where I get it from and I am aloud to drive up and choose my own. Just last week I ended up tipping over a big hay stack of about 20 bales just to get the ones I wanted ;D Its lovely and green at the moment so worth the effort 8)

sgprescue said:
I go through about 3 farm bales a week, its stored in a huge barn where I get it from and I am aloud to drive up and choose my own. Just last week I ended up tipping over a big hay stack of about 20 bales just to get the ones I wanted ;D Its lovely and green at the moment so worth the effort 8)

;D ;D

I prefer the hay from wilkinsons mine seem to love it, i bought some from a pet shop but not a branded one i think it was this that gave them mites since ive used the wilkinsons one ive had no problems at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back