• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Hay Box/tray Lining - Inspiration Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeykins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm hoping to redo the hay arrangements in my piggies C&C cage and I've hit a bit of a stumbling block! I'd like to make a big, self-enclosed correx box as a designated 'hay' area but am struggling with what to line the bottom of it with. They hay will be up in racks/bags as Buttercup has a tendency to sleep with her nose in the hay pile and gets very snuffly from it, so the floor of the box will have a layer of Carefresh/Fitch depending on what I can get hold of, I'm just struggling with what to put underneath that so I don't end up with pee-soaked correx.

At the moment the piggies have 2 cat littler trays which are filled with Carefresh and I empty and clean them whenever needed (usually every 1-2 days) but I end up having to replace the trays every few weeks as they become stained and rough.

What do you use in your hay boxes?

Thanks loads!

Jx

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I just use back to nature in my litter trays without anything underneath. I know what you mean about the build up of a layer. I use vinegar (white vinegar) not diluted just sprayed on the tray/stains. And it dissolves them. Maybe you could use a puppy pad underneath?

Joeykins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks! That's a good idea about the white vinegar - I'm going to try that! I've been using a pet safe disinfectant and scrubbing with wire wool.

I was thinking about putting a puppy pad under the bedding, but Buttercup (such a troublemaker) has a tendency to try and eat them if she can find them - I have to be sneaky about covering them over well with their fleece lol!

Jx

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What about putting a puppy pad underneath the fitch/ care fresh? Very absorbent and dries out unlike newspaper. I used to use newspaper but it just stays wet resulting in the bedding getting wet. You get a good deal on puppy pads from B&M stores and home bargains.

EDIT: just noticed your comment stating you've tried puppy pads, oops! If you cut it so there's just a flat layer on the bottom without any edges coming up the sides this might make it harder for her to get to it.

Joeykins

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

I'm thinking about using the puppy pads, folded to fit without the sticky up edges, and put a cheap fleece panel over the top, then top with Carefresh, in the hope that the fleece doesn't need switching out every time I empty out the bedding!

With any luck, a designated hay-based feeding and play area will help prevent hay getting EVERYWHERE lol! In my dreams...... ;)

Jo x

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Ha ha ha good luck with them not getting hay everywhere. I think my Fudge thinks it's his mission to scatter the hay. I clean the cage the. He drags it about everywhere. Lol.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone :)

I'm thinking about using the puppy pads, folded to fit without the sticky up edges, and put a cheap fleece panel over the top, then top with Carefresh, in the hope that the fleece doesn't need switching out every time I empty out the bedding!

With any luck, a designated hay-based feeding and play area will help prevent hay getting EVERYWHERE lol! In my dreams...... ;)

Jo x
I'm in the same correx boat as you! Just changed to fleece in all 3 floors and made a large correx hay box on each floor as mine love to burrow in the hay and aren't impressed with hay racks. Have been trying shavings under a layer of hay (what they were bedded on before) with a fresh pile am/pm spot clean at night and empty 2 x week but I get too much in the tray then, so looking for alternative lining myself, glad you posted this!

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
What about measuring and seeing if you could find a cat litter try and shallow storage box that would fit in the area?

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
What about measuring and seeing if you could find a cat litter try and shallow storage box that would fit in the area?
Have a cat litter tray on top floor but it only fits one piggy, sometimes 3 like to burrow together! Hence 2 of them are quite large!

Status
Not open for further replies.