• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay Feels Like Straw

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm using Snowflake hay right now, and haven't had a problem with it except for one stray feather a while ago. It's rather cheap, but my mum got a pack of hay for me and when I opened it it felt nothing like hay and more like straw. The piggies don't seem to like it either and will hardly touch it. I can't do anything as all the shops have closed now since it's 12 am, but I compared the new pack with a pile of my last pack of snowflake hay and the last pack felt much softer and nothing like this one that feels like straw.

Has anyone else been using Snowflake hay and noticed this? The pack was in the car for day or two so wondering if that has an effect at all.

I haven't used Snowflake - but I have some other hay which is very coarse. It's too coarse to use as "rummaging around " hay - but my guinea pigs love it. I put the coarse hay in a hay rack.

Ideally , if you are using hay in a hay tray - or as bedding , you need a nice soft hay - but I would keep the snowflake hay if I were you - and puy it in a hay rack or hay bag.

:D I once got a box of hay from DustFreeHay that was more like straw. It was a lovely golden yellow colour and quite course, nothing like hay. I wondered if they'd got the boxes mixed up!
I just received a big bag of "HayForPets" Ings hay this morning. Though most of it is fine, there are a lot of very long thick stalks that would do a lot of damage if an end got in an eye. But I pull a lot of these out and feed them separately on the floor. They are good for wearing down the teeth!

I've noticed bags of the same hay can be quite different in colour, texture and thickness. I always sort through the bags looking for the greenest softest looking in the shop. 1st and 2nd cuts of the same field can be different to, but I can't remember which is the best, probably depends on the weather.

I buy Bob Martin hay from Asda and mostly its lovely and fresh - I only buy the pack that look green though.

Used to buy Natures Own from my local pet shop - some were lovely and fresh, then I got a dodgy bag which once opened smelt bad. So I am sticking to Asda for now - much more expense to deliver Hay for Pets or similar to Northern Ireland which is a shame.

I think it depends how long the stock has been lying on the shelf too - a good quality bag of hay will turn if left on the shop shelf for far too long.
Maybe in a hot car boot, wrapped in plastic it did turn quickly? :)

Thanks :) And you're probably right, it had been in there for longer than wanted. How much is the Bob Martin hay?

think £4.50 for 4kg - handy if you need some quick - have used Tesco but their hay was more than often poor quality and bit smelly - just my experience though with ordering it for home shopping!

See in b&m they sell bags Timothy hay with dandilions for £1.99. I used to hate it is was brown, smelly, and had branches and was so rough and hard. They've recently changes it and now it's dark green, soft and my pigs absolutely love it! I'm so glad I tried it again. It's absolutely brilliant! Just incase you have one near by, you'll love it! I think it's called natures goodness? Xx

Aww that's rubbish, I honestly can't bum it up enough, it looks, feels and smells like the Burgess fresh forage, but maybe better and much greener and it's only £2. I'm gunna go get five bags next week lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back