• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Hay Poke

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This morning I noticed Daisy's eye looked a bit watery and it was half shut. So I took her out a noticed a tiny bit of hay poking out of the corner of her eye. I managed to get it out and the piece of hay was about 1cm long and it was right in the back corner. Her eye is still slightly watery. Does she need a trip to the vet for eye drops or will she be ok?

Please have her seen by a vet, if possible today. Any potential eye injury needs to be checked and treated to prevent ulceration/infection getting into the eyeball. The wateriness is likely to a sign of a hole or scratch to the cornea.

Please have her seen by a vet, if possible today. Any potential eye injury needs to be checked and treated to prevent ulceration/infection getting into the eyeball. The wateriness is likely to a sign of a hole or scratch to the cornea.
I have made an appointment already for 5.10pm. I am working today but I could get out of work early if you think I should get her seen sooner than that?

No, that is fine; as long as you can start treatment within 24 hours of it happening, ideally. it doesn't sound like it is a very bad injury.

Thanks :) does anyone know the name of an antibiotic I would be expected to get for her if she has a scratch? also I take it she would need pain relief? Metcalm? just want to make sure the vet gives me the right stuff if needed :)

See a vet asap if the eye is bloody or it looks like a serious injury; but this doesn't sound like it is an \
Thanks :) does anyone know the name of an antibiotic I would be expected to get for her if she has a scratch? also I take it she would need pain relief? Metcalm? just want to make sure the vet gives me the right stuff if needed :)

The appropriate variety of eye drops should do the trick. Thankfully, eye injuries tend to heal off pretty quickly. Getting the drops in as long as they eye is tender is the most difficult bit for the first couple of days. ;)

Please let us know how she gets on, I think we were given Fucithalmic drops as well as baytril when Cookie had an hay poke. But there are a few different types of drops I believe. Healing vibes x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back