• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay rack alternative?

D

DM270921

Hi, after reading the thread about the risk concerning hay racks, I thought it would be best if I switched to something else. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can feed my hay so its off the ground but a guinea pig might not get their head stuck in it? Or a really good, safe hay rack to use?
Hay Rack | Pets At Home this is the hay rack I use, but it is the same one as another guinea pig has got their head stuck in, so I'm going to remove it from their cage.
Thanks x

Litter trays or big plastic storage containers filled with hay.

I haven’t used hay racks in ages and mine just get a big pile of hay on the floor. They get to exercise their natural foraging behaviour and with some dried forage hidden in the pile it keeps them occupied for hours! They often snuggle in and fall asleep under it. It does of course keep pooped on but that’s just seasoning if you’re a piggy!

I get those big metal bowls used for dogs, and my piggies love sitting in it or tipping it over their heads :). Big plastic trays or litter boxes work well too. I also have this wooden hay feeder tube with holes in it that my piggies LOVE, they can spend hours tugging hay out of the holes. You can get them in willow material as well, or with carrot on the ends. My piggies love hay tunnels too. You could just put a pile on the floor though....

When I first got my Guinea pigs I used a hay rack as I didn’t know the risk of them getting their heads stuck. I then changed to putting their hay pile on the floor (they have two one pile of Timothy hay and one of orchard grass) and they eat so much more hay than they used to and love burrowing underneath the pile and munching at the same time. I would really recommend trying it. They have two litter trays too but I find they borrow/forage much more in the piles on the floor. :))

I use a corner litter tray too, or grass houses which you can get from pet stores, as them the pigs can eat the house and the hay!

Thank you for all the tips :)

I ended up piling all the hay up on the floor as I have no tray/house to put it on... This morning I find Frodo sleeping on top of it (outside his beloved pigloo) and looking very warm and cosy on the cold day. I put more hay in so he could be nice and toasty in his new bed :))

The hay rack is going in the bin

You could use paper bags! I use a small litter tray. He eats his bedding in his bedroom mostly but I got my litter tray from the Poundshop, it doesn’t need to be expensive to do the job!

Mine get their hay piled on the floor of the cage.
They love playing in it.
It can be amusing watching a pile of hay move across the cage.

Hi everyone! Can I please ask, if you put hay in a pile on the floor, do you discard of it daily? My girls don't seem to like the hayracks so I've now put a pile on the floor but I seem to throw a lot of hay away every day...I don't want them to eat it if it's got poo/wee on it so I just swept the whole lot.

I bought the plastic bag dispensers from Ikea & use those, no issues as they have to reach up to get it which is nourishment and fun, it was an effort to reduce wastage. They are attached to the hutches and high enough they can't crawl inside...believe me I've tried all sorts and now they just love them.

Hi everyone! Can I please ask, if you put hay in a pile on the floor, do you discard of it daily? My girls don't seem to like the hayracks so I've now put a pile on the floor but I seem to throw a lot of hay away every day...I don't want them to eat it if it's got poo/wee on it so I just swept the whole lot.
if it's been wee'd or poo'd on - definately change daily . sometimes, if I've been a bit generous with hay the day before, I may save any which looks clean and dry ..but will do a full chang the next day

Back