Hay smells of mushrooms

Betsy

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Where did you buy it from? Can you take it back? Hay should smell sweet like honey.

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I always take the view it’s not worth feeding anything I have a doubt about. The risks to the piggies outweigh any financial expense involved. Do you have another bag of hay you could use?
If you’ve got any doubt, then don’t feed it. It shouldn’t smell like that
I’m going to bin it. I have more bags of hay to open

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I now have a haybale bag but when I used to store it in bin bags it was around 5 or 6 black sacks per bale of hay and it stored perfectly in those in my garage.
Sadly I don’t have a garage or anywhere to store it :( We did have a shed but have recently got rid of it as it was falling apart

Jamjarpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly I don’t have a garage or anywhere to store it :( We did have a shed but have recently got rid of it as it was falling apart
I know your pain, we have space behind the door for the 9 kg bag from www.hay-and-straw.co.uk but its still expensive compared to bales! Thinking of getting one of the plastic outdoor storage containers for a bale at some point, but with winter coming its tempting to wait so we don't have to go outside to get it!

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It didn't look mouldy so I used it still but it's just their bedding hay. It's was a bit moist aswell but dried soon after pulling it out the bag
I'm afraid if you think guinea pigs know the difference between hay put in their enclosure for bedding and hay put in their enclosure for eating , you are mistaken .