• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay snobs?!

Portia'sPigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello lovely people,

I've had my piggies for a few months now and have been influenced by you lot so now my piggies dine on delicious Haybox hay.
I'm still figuring out my supscriprion frequency (either I'm too frivolous with giving them hay or they just eat a lot!) and have run out a week early!
I popped into a pet store and got a small bale of Timothy Hay just to tie us over (which is so brown and does not look appetising at all - maybe I'm the hay snob! 🤣) I've popped it down and they don't seem to be touching it at all!
They're not huge veggie eaters.... I've tried everything numerous times but lettuce, cucumber and cabbage is occasionally eaten along with nuggets but they won't go hungry will they? I know they need to eat a lot of hay as it's the main part of their diet and they need to eat pretty much all the time but I'm panicking they're not going to eat enough and make themselves poorly!

Lots of love and squeaks, the needy guinea pig owner x
Photos just because they're handsome little things! IMG_20200912_110047.jpgIMG_20200912_105928.jpg

What gorgeous photos of your piggies and little girl x
Piggies are amazing when it comes to quality food, they instantly know when something is not quite up to “their standard” My Ted won’t touch any veggies from Tesco and Asda, preferring M&S on the whole, won’t we all!
You won’t go far wrong with good quality hay, it’s worth every penny. Have you tried them with a few herbs or forage?

Thank you! @Bill & Ted
Yes they like dandelions but I've run out in the garden and the occasional bit of coriander but basil and parsley are out!
I'm just worried about the hay! 🙈
Oh these piggies, I worry about them more than my children 😜 x
P.s. @Bill & Ted Ted is my grey one, he's a right grumpy boy! x

All I can suggest is that you see if you can get a small bag of better looking hay, and then adjust your subscription frequency. It took me several goes before I got it right. My piggies are the same though - won’t touch hay now unless it’s haybox!

Our boys are the same with hay box, we have still been figuring out the frequency too and have found that they will eat natures own Timothy in a emergency (although no were near as much), I also give them the sweet green hay cookies to top them up! As soon as the hay box comes though they know and will stop popcorning like mad!

Haha yeah, guinea pigs are picky little creatures. I've tried the bulk buying of hay, only to find that I bought 15kg of something they wouldn't touch. Now I'm back to the pricey version that they just love stuffing their faces with 😂.

I once ran out of hay (very rare occurrence!). Instead of going to a shop nearby for what I know they could eat, I figured I would buy a Burgess excel pack while at work (Tesco). I think it was the dandelion and marigold one. Well...they weren’t too amused by my choice of hay for them! I had to go get a bag from the shop while I waited for delivery. 😒

Glad to know mine aren’t the only fussy piggies.
They love the HayBox meadow hay and are decidedly miffed with me if I give them anything else.
I still haven’t quite got my order right either but HayBox are so good at letting me change the order frequency.
They could teach a lot of companies about good customer service

Thank you! I better adjust my subscription!

Just out of curiosity, how much do you have delivered and how often? x

Thank you! I better adjust my subscription!

Just out of curiosity, how much do you have delivered and how often? x

everybody is going to be different depending on many factors - I have two piggies and three rabbits who all live outside/sheds. I have 20kg every month as I also use it as bedding

For our two boys, we get 5kg every 5 weeks now (we ran out just before week 6 last month), we have a corner litter tray, a small hay rack and we put some up in their loft, I’d say we are fairly low waste compared to others when it comes to hay!

I just increased my Haybox delivery frequency again to every 3 weeks, we get 20kg (10kg meadow, 10kg of timothy) for 8 piggies. I can just about make 20kg last 4 weeks with a 1kg box of haycookies and 1kg of readigrass and a haycube or three for hay treats, but piggy daddy simply cannot resist the little cute hay begging nosey-woses, if he does the after dinner hay top-ups he puts in 2kg at a time!

I just increased my Haybox delivery frequency again to every 3 weeks, we get 20kg (10kg meadow, 10kg of timothy) for 8 piggies. I can just about make 20kg last 4 weeks with a 1kg box of haycookies and 1kg of readigrass and a haycube or three for hay treats, but piggy daddy simply cannot resist the little cute hay begging nosey-woses, if he does the after dinner hay top-ups he puts in 2kg at a time!
How much is the cheapest?

Oh my goodness! I get 10kg every 4 weeks for my two boys but I seem to run out the end of week three. 🙈
They just seem to knock over the hay tray and make such a mess then pee on it (obviously!) so I end up replacing it quite frequently! Maybe I need to be a bit more tight with the hay! Xx

Nothing wrong with having plenty hay, if I could manage to store more in my tiny house which has been mostly taken over by guinea pigs I would definitely go for 30kg a month, but those 5kg boxes are big! :)
He he! If I had more space, I'd be having 8 piggies too! 🙈
I would love a snuggle piggie, mine are so boisterous and only want me for food! 🤣 Xx

Oh my goodness! I get 10kg every 4 weeks for my two boys but I seem to run out the end of week three. 🙈
They just seem to knock over the hay tray and make such a mess then pee on it (obviously!) so I end up replacing it quite frequently! Maybe I need to be a bit more tight with the hay! Xx
Wow so much! Have you tried putting it in a fabric hay bag on the side of the cage? That may help a little as they won’t be able to pee on it! I think we are very lucky our boys pee in their litter boxes that we line with fleece so there isn’t too much dirty hay!

i agree with @PigglePuggle, the more hay the better! Lovely big piles to jump on and play in! Yes it does get pee‘d on, but mine have eaten so much more hay since I stopped using hay racks and they love diving head first into a pile and scattering it everywhere!

Back