• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay Storage

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
We are getting through a lot of hay with 5 piggies. I currently buy 9.5kg on-line and keep it in the room where the piggies live. It lasts less than a month.

I could buy a bale of hay from the farm where we buy our egg tray bedding. The problem with this would be storage. We don't have a garage or shed. Someone suggested a wheelie bin but I wasn't sure if you would get condensation making the hay damp.

Does anyone have any suggestions for storing hay outdoors.

We use a garden storage locker for our bale which we get off local farmer for £4. If you put a heavy stone or bricks on each end it stops the wind blowing any rain under the lid. You can also cover with a tarpaulin or plastic sheet. We somethimes open it up on really sunny days just to air it. It works well especially if you use plenty and great in the summer months

Attachments

• F9A807ED-43DE-4A42-86CF-2BB67A02769A.jpeg
    F9A807ED-43DE-4A42-86CF-2BB67A02769A.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1
We use a garden storage locker for our bale which we get off local farmer for £4. If you put a heavy stone or bricks on each end it stops the wind blowing any rain under the lid. You can also cover with a tarpaulin or plastic sheet. We somethimes open it up on really sunny days just to air it. It works well especially if you use plenty and great in the summer months

That’s the sort of thing!

We keep a bale in a 240L wheelie bin. When the bin was outside, the hay was in a wheelie bin bag and the bin was kept up against a wall in the shade. There was never a problem with condensation.
Thank you. We probably have room for another wheelie bin outside so we will probably try this as a first option.

IMG_0252.JPG
Thanks for the tag, sorry for the delay, can't find the one I wanted to post, but here's the storage unit that VickiA was talking about, inside I normally have smaller plastic boxes so I have a variety of hay (when I can afford it!) but I don't have to do any bending into the wheelie type bins and this is easy access.

And yes I have a lot of piggy stuff!
@YvonneBlue

View attachment 108140
Thanks for the tag, sorry for the delay, can't find the one I wanted to post, but here's the storage unit that VickiA was talking about, inside I normally have smaller plastic boxes so I have a variety of hay (when I can afford it!) but I don't have to do any bending into the wheelie type bins and this is easy access.

And yes I have a lot of piggy stuff!
@YvonneBlue
That really is a lot of piggy stuff.
We are looking to try hay from a farm but couldn't realistically keep a whole bale in our spare room. We may try the wheelie bin option first and hope i don't end-up falling headfirst in there!
Our back garden isn't secure, so getting a container like yours would probably just be asking for someone to break into it.

@YvonneBlue what farm do you get your egg tray bedding from? How much is it?

I really want to try it but can't find a supplier where the postage isnt through the roof.

Thanks

@Hank288 They are in Pet Bedding UK, Ash House Farm, Chapel Lane, Acton Bridge, Northwich. It was just over a 1 hour round trip from Manchester by car.

We picked up two large bags, i guess about 20kg in each, i think it was less than £20 for the two. I would imagine that delivery is expensive because of the weight. If you are collecting you have to give them a ring to check that they will be there.

I used to use a wheeliebin too (I bought one specifically for this purpose!). Holds a square bale of hay no problem.

The only thing with a wheelie bin is when the hay gets low is about getting to the bottom of the bin it's self. I know because I used one once for keeping grit in the bin etc.

However, we sell wheelie bins my works and we use them for a different purpose all together - we cut a small section out in the front, and you could do the same with a flap on it that way when it gets low you can see access it via the flap rather from the top.

The only thing with a wheelie bin is when the hay gets low is about getting to the bottom of the bin it's self. I know because I used one once for keeping grit in the bin etc.

However, we sell wheelie bins my works and we use them for a different purpose all together - we cut a small section out in the front, and you could do the same with a flap on it that way when it gets low you can see access it via the flap rather from the top.
That sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

You could look at a large compost bin that has a flap in the bottom - though they maybe more expensive than a wheely bin. Another option is a bale tidy..
Shires Bale Tidy

I have a couple of something similar to collect my hay in from the farm and then I store it in the garage. They are brilliant and no hay mess in the car and I find cleaning out the hutch is a lot easier than when I was using bin bags. I don't waste so much hay either.

I have a couple of something similar to collect my hay in from the farm and then I store it in the garage. They are brilliant and no hay mess in the car and I find cleaning out the hutch is a lot easier than when I was using bin bags. I don't waste so much hay either.
I collect and store in old single duvet covers, but as they are in the garage, they don't need to be waterproof. So much easier/cleaner all round! :)

Back