• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

hay waste..orchard vs timothy

horsefeather

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm feeding timothy hay and seem to have quite a bit of waste. they seem to not want to eat the harder bits. i was wondering if orchard hay would be softer and less wasted. does it grind the teeth properly (i have other chew things in the cage )

i put it in a litter pan to keep it contained and of course they pee and poop in there quite a bit. would putting it in a hay manger help with waste with paper bedding in the litter pan?

pics are my current hay set up and the manger

Attachments

• 20200710_092823.jpg
    20200710_092823.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200707_140618.jpg
    20200707_140618.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
Orchard is softer but it does still work on their teeth....but it doesn’t mean they will eat it any better! Piggies can be so fussy and have their particular likes and dislikes. Mine will only eat Timothy hay from haybox. If I buy Timothy from anywhere else, even if it looks just as nice, they won’t eat it!
I found when I used hay racks/mangers that they actually eat less. Mine prefer to just have their hay right there and easy to access so I just put piles of meadow hay on the floor. Their Timothy goes in the corner trays like you have. Using a rack won’t necessrily produce less waste though - they will still sift though it finding the bits they like, pull the rest out and you’ll find it in piles under the rack still getting pooped on and not eaten. Waste is part and parcel of piggies!

Back