• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay wasters!

Livia Rabideau

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have bought hay racks. My pigs won't use them. They prefer to pee and poop allover their hay, which leads to a lot of wasted hay. I have tried making coroplast hay boxes. They didn't like those either. I saw someone on here uses a bent grid for their hay racks. I made three today. One for each pair. So far all 6 piggies are using it! I am so excited! My girls are wasting so much hay I am really hoping they will use this! Thanks to whomever posted the idea!

Attachments

• IMG_20181101_133511778.jpg
    IMG_20181101_133511778.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 18
Looks good! My lot won't eat hay from a hay rack unless it is in the hospital cage. They will eat it out of a hay box though on the floor of the hutch though or they eat they stuff they have wee'd and pooped on.

Thanks! I am hoping it continues. I am wasting half of the girls hay each day. My boys only poop and pee where they sleep, so not much waste from them.

Long may it continue!
My boys don’t like hay racks, pee, poop, sleep and run on it and then it tastes nice apparently....strange little creatures! They are in a hutch though so I got through a lot of hay for bedding so I suppose even if they did use a hayrack if probably wouldn’t make much difference to my hay bill!

Haha. They are funny! I don't mind a little on the ground, but geez the girls are so messy! Lol.

Long may it continue!
My boys don’t like hay racks, pee, poop, sleep and run on it and then it tastes nice apparently....strange little creatures! They are in a hutch though so I got through a lot of hay for bedding so I suppose even if they did use a hayrack if probably wouldn’t make much difference to my hay bill!
Hay really does taste nicer that way. My lot have proved it on many occasions. I have my 5 piggie in a hutch and use hay for bedding with a base of puppy pads.

Mine use their hay pan as their bathrooms and I don't mind it. Cleaning becomes much easier so I would rather they waste hay than wash heavily soiled fleece liners and fleece pee pads.

Because I wash fleece beddings by hand, I find that there is less pee on their fleece beddings, so I don't have to do aggressive cleaning of the fleece beddings. Also, cleaning work load is much lighter because all their pee go to hay pan. I do use puppy pee pad on the bottom of the hay pan to abosorb the pee, so I throw away both the soiled hay and puppy pee pad, which makes cleaning much easier.

Back