• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay

Darcie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two guinea pigs and they are both potty trained but I recently took them to the vet and the vet told me I needed Timothy hay. I bought Timothy hay and they won't touch it. They only touch the hay for potty training. I don't wanna use the Timothy hay for the bathroom bc it's more money. So what can I do?

Maybe put it in a rack in the litter box. It'll keep it high enough so they can't pee on it and you won't waste as much.

Guineas pigs can be fussy and selective over their hay, it may be that they just don’t like that particular brand of Timothy hay.
I stick to meadow hay as bedding and then I put other varieties of hay, such as Timothy, oat, orchard and mountain hay into tissue boxes (home made hay racks).
Next time you need more hay, perhaps try them on a different brand, I’m sure you will soon find their favourite

I have two hay feeders for my boy, one is a big ball hay feeder that sits on the floor and the other hay feeder hangs outside of his cage with opening towards inside the cage. My Finn goes through ton of hay daily. He gets the hay out of the two hay feeders, spreads them all over the floor, then munches on them all day. He gets endless supply of hay. I constantly fill up his two hay feeders so he never runs out of them.
Finn’s favorite thing to do is eating by the way. He gets fed 3 servings of veggies a day with fruits throughout the week but still acts hungry by making loud noise.

Ok well before I potty trained them they used to eat Timothy hay. But maybe they like the farmers hay better.

Ok well before I potty trained them they used to eat Timothy hay. But maybe they like the farmers hay better.

Hi, I’m going a bit off subject here but you mention about potty training your guinea pigs, how do you potty train them? I have never heard of that :)):)):lol::lol:

Hello yes! It's actually really easy to do. I bought a cat litter box and filled it with farmers hay because it's super cheap and put there water and food near it and they used it as a bathroom! But once it gets dirty they don't use it anymore.i normally replace it everyday.

Back