• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hay

Eva121

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! So I have a fabric hay rack for my guinea pigs but I really want to switch it out. At first I just put their hay in a small box and they would jump on top and eat it. All normal. Until they started peeing and pooping A TON in it, and it smelled disgusting. They also stopped eating the hay in the box, they would only eat the freshest hay, maybe because the rest was urine soaked? Then I made a diy hay rack. The reason I want to change from that is because they barely ever eat the hay from it, and I switch the hay out a lot too. So, what I want to know is how do you give your guinea pigs hay or what do you suggest? In a box, a hay rack, etc?

I use cardboard boxes and cat litter trays. I line them with newspaper and change the hay daily, and top it up two or three times a day. I just roll it up in the paper and throw it away in the morning when I clean out the cage. Piggies love to scratch around in their hay finding the best bit, they pee and poop while they are eating so yes it will get messy. They also like to sleep in it. I don't use hay racks as none of my pigs have ever used them. I also put hay on paper bags sometimes, they love to play in those, any kind of play with hay encourages them to eat it. I line the boxes with a puppy pad stops the bottom getting wet and soggy and means the boxes will often last a week!

When I first got my piggies they wouldn’t use a hay rack at all. It has now been six months and they will use the hay rack now for their Timothy hay but still prefer a big pile of hay on the floor or in a tray which they run through, search through and pee on! I also put hay in paper bags with some herbs mixed in.

Back